Hello fellow Commander folks,

I recently purchased a 1966 Commander 38 Sedan in Ohio, which will be sitting up there over the winter.  In April, I will be moving her to Washington, DC.  While she is hibernating, I am working on getting her Coast Guard documented and changing the name/hailing port.  I was hoping that someone might know the transom measurements from the lower rub rail to the top & the width.  I know the beam is 13', but I think it may taper down at the transom.

If anyone has this info, I would appreciate it so I can get my lettering on order.  Being 350 miles away limits my interaction with her until next year.

Thanks and I am happy to be a CCC owner!

Rob 

Views: 371

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rob, I’ll have to check. I can also check my order for graphics. By the way, our 38 Sedan is at Mt. Vernon Yacht Club. I was the Commodore of District Yacht Club in DC until we moved the boat down river a bit. Where are you planning on keeping yours?

Thanks Sam, I plan to keep mine at the James Creek Marina, located on the Potomac River where it meets the Washington Channel and the Anacostia River.  I am new to boating in this area as I recently moved to the District from San Francisco.  This will be a very different type of boating compared to the Bay Area, but I am looking forward to exploring.  Any recommended anchorages or sweet spots for swinging on the hook would be appreciated!

Sam Carter said:

Rob, I’ll have to check. I can also check my order for graphics. By the way, our 38 Sedan is at Mt. Vernon Yacht Club. I was the Commodore of District Yacht Club in DC until we moved the boat down river a bit. Where are you planning on keeping yours?

Getting a hull documented or even worse a change of ownership of a documented vessel is a huge pain in the transom.

It is a very slow process in which you will be forced to jump thru sevetsl government hoops. 

I dont envy that process

You're right, Jeremy...I've done it before and it is painful.  That's why I have already started the process...and hired a vessel documentation assistant to handle the gov. :-)  I hope to have everything ready to go by April/May when the boat arrives in DC.

Jeremy Goldstein said:

Getting a hull documented or even worse a change of ownership of a documented vessel is a huge pain in the transom.

It is a very slow process in which you will be forced to jump thru sevetsl government hoops. 

I dont envy that process

When I purchased Wanderer, I went through a broker. He took care of all the paperwork for transferring the documentation to me. Advised me to make all the changes I wanted to when I submitted when the paperwork (which he provided) the first time as there is no additional charge. Any changes made after the original transfer are subject to a fee schedule. Changed owner, name, and hailing port, all at once. It all went smooth as silk. 

Rob - be advised the beam is measured at the widest point which (suspecting the 38 is similar to my 35) is closer to midship. I think the beam on my 35 at the actual transom is like 11-12ish
Welcome to the DC / Annapolis Regional Commander Club!

There's more than a handful of us.

Matt is the official chair. ;)

-Darin

Thanks Darin.  I wasn't aware that there was a regional club!  I look forward to meeting y'all on the water!

Darin H said:

Welcome to the DC / Annapolis Regional Commander Club!

There's more than a handful of us.

Matt is the official chair. ;)

-Darin

Measured my 35 and the aft beam is about 11' 9" but this does not include the curvature.  The 38 has a more sharply veed stern so the actual surface dimension will probably be slightly in excess of 12'.

Do you want the name to go entirely across the transom?  Mine is centered and probably 6 or 7 feet.  The other question to ask is do you want to document?  When I documented Timtation the annual cost to renew was only a dollar, that now I believe is on the order of $25 which is a lot of cost not to have the state assigned numbers marring my bow.

Tim

Thanks Tim.  I don't want the name to go all the way across, but I do want it to go across at least 2/3 of the transom.  The current design is 80" across with the tallest letters being 10.5".  See attached picture

I am in the process of documenting now...this will save me on annual registration fees and I will not have to pay sales tax on the boat.  A win win situation for me...especially after paying $4k to have her transported from Ohio to DC.

Attachments:

This is a photo of a 1968 CCC Express, 35'.

You may not be able to read the tape measure in the photo but there is 28" of tape out of the body and my guess is the body of the tape measure would add another 3-4".  I took this photo when I had graphics printed.  I also spaced the boat name between the swim platform ladder and the steps affixed to the transom. That spacing was 80".

Attachments:

Thanks Steve!  I would assume that the 38 Sedan would have a similar sized transom.  I went ahead and ordered my lettering today.  I would think at 84" wide and 10.5" tall, the lettering will look really nice.

Appreciate the response!

Rob

Steve Riley said:

This is a photo of a 1968 CCC Express, 35'.

You may not be able to read the tape measure in the photo but there is 28" of tape out of the body and my guess is the body of the tape measure would add another 3-4".  I took this photo when I had graphics printed.  I also spaced the boat name between the swim platform ladder and the steps affixed to the transom. That spacing was 80".

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2019 Wall Calendars Now Available!!

The Chris-Craft Commander Club 2019 Wall Calendar is now available!!.  We're having to do things a little differently this year, so for calendar details & ordering, Click Here

2018 Photo Contest Winner

The 4th Annual Chris-Craft Commander Club Photo Contest had more than 50 entries and selecting the winners was not an easy task. 

First place: submitted by Pat Chaps

Second place: submitted by Martin Krall;

Third place: submitted by Jeff Pacy.

To view all entries to this year's contest,         Click Here

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service