I am SOOO glad this is nowhere near me!  This is a rough basis for a diesel boat if you're up for the challenge.  It's got a LOW opening bid and no reserve.  Twin cummins diesels in a 42 is a great platform.  Check out the auction here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PROJECT-1969-CHRIS-CRAFT-COMMANDER-W-TWIN-...

I hope someone picks her up and is willing to save her rather than trash her!

Views: 1148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The seller states that the engines have new injectors and heads.

If the heads were changed, it was a very long time ago. They might have put in new injectors at best.

From the looks of the engine room, I would have very serious concerns over the condition of the engines.

The Triple Nickels have wet sleeves which is fine, but there is just too much in the pictures that gives me a gut feeling that there is a lot more going on there, like probably perforated liners.

The Triple Nickel was also good for only about 180hp in a naturally aspirated configuration making the boat rather under powered.

If this were to be a possible project boat for someone, I would suggest to consider that hull as being engineless with the need to remove some heavy junk from the engine room. I might be wrong but by taking this approach, your project budget would not be destroyed by engine condition optimism.

Ron, a much better analysis than I would have produced.  I get twitchy about that model but I was more itchy than twitchy after looking at the pictures. 

Approach with caution...the hour meters are quite obviously the newest things on the boat by a wide margin. New heads ? When ? 1985 ?
Every time a boat like this shows up (or that busted up 35 I linked to the other day) it makes me feel better about my old girl. For as many warts as I may see on her, she’s a supermodel compared to some of the garbage out there.

Yes, I agree with all those comments, which is why I'm happy to not be close enough.  However, for $5k starting price?!?  And of course there is no date on those photos.

The only reason you have a supermodel is because of all the love you have given her over the years. These two haven't been loved in a long time. Weather performing routine maintenance, upgrades, or restorations, the Members of this Club treat working on the boat as a labor of love. we know our boats intimately, We've crawled around the bilge like a contortionist, we've become plumbers, electricians, and "shade tree" mechanics, not to mention carpenters, painters, and fiberglass experts. We've tasted "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat" while wishing that our forearm would bend between the wrist and elbow.  But when you pull into the anchorage full of new boats that cost more then an average house, and they're all admiring your girl, all that blood and sweat and skin off your knuckles that you left in the bilge is worth it. 

Nat,

I guess you and I think alike and can't help but see the potential in these old ladies.  Case in point, I bought a 30 Sportsman that everybody was afraid of.  I have put in a lot of elbow grease and am getting to know her really well.  I have enjoyed her on the water all this summer, and am relishing the time for projects the cold season here in Michigan affords!  A long, pleasureable road of fooling around on an old boat ahead!

But for this 42, I just see a really affordable entry into something with LOTS of potential.  For around $5k(she's not going to probably go for much more), you can buy her and take a gamble on the drivetrain.  Maybe put $8K into the engines to get them into usable shape for the near future and begin upgrading and restoring while  using it.  That is key to not burning out on a project!

You can only hope she finds a good home. With someone who has a patient Spouse.

YES!!!  HAHAHA!  My spouse is very patient, but I would be stretching her.

Nat Brady said:

You can only hope she finds a good home. With someone who has a patient Spouse.

Sorry boys but my wife doesn't have enough patience in two lifetimes for that refit. I cant see putting any money into those engines. Every picture shows another project. On a brighter note, the cushions in the V berth looked ok, as did the electrical panel:)  I'll have to pass.

I agree with Nat! We work hard on these girls but they sure make us proud.

Nat Brady said:

The only reason you have a supermodel is because of all the love you have given her over the years. These two haven't been loved in a long time. Weather performing routine maintenance, upgrades, or restorations, the Members of this Club treat working on the boat as a labor of love. we know our boats intimately, We've crawled around the bilge like a contortionist, we've become plumbers, electricians, and "shade tree" mechanics, not to mention carpenters, painters, and fiberglass experts. We've tasted "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat" while wishing that our forearm would bend between the wrist and elbow.  But when you pull into the anchorage full of new boats that cost more then an average house, and they're all admiring your girl, all that blood and sweat and skin off your knuckles that you left in the bilge is worth it. 

well she is really close to me . Do you guys think she really is a lost cause ?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Photo Contest Winners

This year's CCCC Photo Contest saw a record number of participating photos. The winners of the of the top three positions are:

1. James Frens with the photo of his 27 Commander, displayed to the left.
  2. Kevin R Mueller with a photo of his 42 Commander
  3. Greg Kay with a photo of his  42 Tournament fisherman.

Here is a slideshow featuring the top 10 photos.

New Issue Available

The Fall 2017 issue of the Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, is now available for download.  

Click here to download your copy.

© 2017   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service