I am looking at a 1970 35' commander. I notice that there is a V Drive installed. Is this an original installation?

Views: 684

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ummm not thinking this is original. Most I know of are direct drive. This was quite an expensive upgrade. Got any pics?

Thank you for answering me. I am very interested in buying this boat it needs a total upgrade. I was very surprised to see that. I was told that the engines were installed in 2008. I will take pictures when I go back this week. The boat is listed on POP yachts. I have a deposit on it and I am in the process of having it surveyed. I can't figure out why that would be done. I have a call into the mechanic who installed the engines. 

One thing I noticed in the pictures on POP yachts was the engine mount on the stringer. It did not look right.

I am not ready to sign up to view pics but did not see anything indicating vee drives on the '70 listed for Rockaway, NY..  Vee drives were never used in any of the 35/36 Express and Sports Cruisers.  Beware of ignorance, my 35 was broker listed with vee drives but I haven't found an epithet applicable to transmissions that starts with a vee.. ;-)

Tim

After looking at the ad and the price reduction, something does not smell right. I'm concerned about the salt water issues and other things. I'd get a mechanical survey done.....

Thank you I had the same concerns.  

thank you I do appreciate your input. Now that I think of it the engines are facing forward. What confuses me is that the shafts were under the engine.

Well, those are not vee drives. Had they been, I would have advised you to run for your life :-) One thing I really don't like about the boat is no lower control station. Also, another strange thing is only 200 hours in 10 years? Really low usage, wonder why ??

The lower station was removed. As far as the hours that I am not sure about, it could be a fish story. The person I am dealing with aid that his father used it very little. It has been dry docked for 3 years. 

I want to thank all of all you. Your experience and input has made me think very carefully. The fact that this boat needs many hours of mechanical work  and that it is not in the water is a very big issue.As much as I want this model, this particular one must be passed by. 

I appreciate you men sharing your knowledge

Respectfully,

Dennis Amore. 

Those are not Vee Drives.  and those are not 7.4 330's either.  That package is an 8.1L 496 Mercruiser Horizons with down angle ZF Gears or Zee Drives.  Its a hell of a package. And I promise when set up right, it's one FAST 35....  Ask Dick Morland or Greg Gajack. The only part that disturbs me on the setup is the exhaust size reduction which could be easily fixed. ( Not cheap but easily)  Those 8.1s like to breathe.

It always helps when the broker knows what the hell he is listing... =)

That boat has been available for years on craigslist off and on.  They started asking in the $20's.

So the shaft is under the engine? 

Lee H. Dahlen said:

Those are not Vee Drives.  and those are not 7.4 330's either.  That package is an 8.1L 496 Mercruiser Horizons with down angle ZF Gears or Zee Drives.  Its a hell of a package. And I promise when set up right, it's one FAST 35....  Ask Dick Morland or Greg Gajack. The only part that disturbs me on the setup is the exhaust size reduction which could be easily fixed. ( Not cheap but easily)  Those 8.1s like to breathe.

It always helps when the broker knows what the hell he is listing... =)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Styled In Fiberglass

For your reading pleasure, the latest issue of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, along with past issues, can you accessed through the link below.

Styled In Fiberglass Issues

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service