Hello there, I don't own a Chris yet but I am trying to buy one.  I have a chance to buy a 30 ft 1975 tournament sport fish model but have some concerns on how it was stored.  It has been on the hard for almost 4 years and the blocking has been pushing the hull up.  It was blocked ok at the stern but the forward block was placed in the area of the galley floor which doesn't seem to have much structure to support the bait in that area.  I believe if they would have blocke the boat under the forward bulkhead this would not be an issue.  But what's done is done.  The marina has raised the boat and most of the indentation has come out but my concern is any structural damage, ny surveyer isn't a 100% sure but mostly believes it will be ok.  I am wondering if anyone on here has had this issue or has the same boat and can offer some thoughts.  Thanks for reading.    Dan

Views: 136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is this blocking on the keel with stabilizers on the chines?  I think there was a discussion some time ago about blocking, can't remember specifics but I would expect 3 on the keel with at least two preferably 3 jacks on either side to stabilize and take some load.  I think there may be some deflection, I only have the boat blocked for bottom work etc. and the longest that has been was perhaps 2 months.  I notice a bit of sticking of the cabin door and when work on the drive train has been done it takes about two weeks before I feel comfortable realigning.  Not much help but it is what I can offer.  Best of luck, seems like a neat model, keep us posted.

Tim

ps, don't like the idea but check with the surveyor about checking hull delamination.  If the bow is in an area that might be a good spot for a through-hull offer that as an inspection requirement. gahhh argh can't believe I even offered this.

Thanks Tim.  Its blocked twice on the keel with 2 stands on each side.  The keel isn't a hard V, its More of a slightly rounded belly towards the front where the blocking is.  The surveyer sounded the hull and that all checked out good.  I tried to scrape a little paint off the bottom and didn't notice any cracks in the gel coat. I'm just trying to feel as confident as I can about my purchase.  It's a great looking boat with a good following and a lot of positive feedback about construction and seaworthiness.  I hope to make my decision within the next day or so.  I think I'm going to ask the guys at my regular marina if they can offer any insight on the subject.    I am hoping to get some more feedback on how much deflection is too much.

Dan

Timothy "Tim" Miller said:

Is this blocking on the keel with stabilizers on the chines?  I think there was a discussion some time ago about blocking, can't remember specifics but I would expect 3 on the keel with at least two preferably 3 jacks on either side to stabilize and take some load.  I think there may be some deflection, I only have the boat blocked for bottom work etc. and the longest that has been was perhaps 2 months.  I notice a bit of sticking of the cabin door and when work on the drive train has been done it takes about two weeks before I feel comfortable realigning.  Not much help but it is what I can offer.  Best of luck, seems like a neat model, keep us posted.

Tim

ps, don't like the idea but check with the surveyor about checking hull delamination.  If the bow is in an area that might be a good spot for a through-hull offer that as an inspection requirement. gahhh argh can't believe I even offered this.

Hello Dan,  These hulls are pretty stout, but I agree that it would have been better to block under the bulkhead.  I have a 1976 30 tournament and can attest to the thickness of the hull bottom.  Just recently put a transducer centerline in the hull eliminating the use of wedge, very thick build of glass.  I have heard some say that the hull can maintain shape pretty well.

Hello Dan, If the keel did get stressed and  cracked during blocking it’s not a big deal to grind and add additional layers of glass from underneath. Twice over the years Do to blocking under the engine area all that weight caused the keel to crack.  I now always ask them to block it long ways and try to keep most of the weight on the stands.  Add water inside the bilge and look for any seepage. Good luck Jim

Common to have blocking damage with these hulls if not done correctly. It can most likely be repaired. I have a 76 that I have a pending sale on. Call me if you have questions about the boat. 407 312 9512 -jim. It's a great hull and worth the effort to restore.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2018 Photo Contest Winner

The 4th Annual Chris-Craft Commander Club Photo Contest had more than 50 entries and selecting the winners was not an easy task. 

First place: submitted by Pat Chaps

Second place: submitted by Martin Krall;

Third place: submitted by Jeff Pacy.

To view all entries to this year's contest,         Click Here

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service