30 Tournament Fisherman bulkhead rot - why did it happen?

I own a 30 TF that has had the bulkhead replaced (available for sale  in the classifieds BTW!). Just about every 30 TF I've seen or heard about over the years has had problems with rot in the bulkhead. Does anyone know why this happened? Is it the drains from the flybridge floor? The seam along the back of the flybridge? Wicking from the bilge? I'd like to know for sure what caused the problem. Anyone know?

Views: 183

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

James,  We have the same boat.  Mine had the most decay at the top corner of the bulkhead.  There are drains from the bridge that allow water to run along the outside wall.  I couldn't believe it when I was cleaning the bridge for the first time... looking at where the water went.... it is a major flaw.  I have very little rot at the bottom in front of the engines but the wall and the fiberglass did need some 5200 to fill a 1/4" gap in front of the engine covers.  The previous owners installed a canvas enclosure that resolved most of the issue.  I've seen several of these boats with a sloped back cover too. 

I'm curious did you remove the deck around the engine covers to replace your bulkhead?  I've seen pictures of First Light when he completely redid his  when replacing the engines and fuel tank.  I've done the side walls but not the full bulkhead.  It's going to take a lot of nerve to rip that out.

The bulkhead in my boat was replaced by the previous owner, but the deck around the engine covers was left intact. I did fix a few issues with the deck in fornt of the engines using thickened epoxy. 

Thanks for confirming it's the drains from the flybridge that cuase the issue. I'm thinking about sealing the void on the sides at the rear of the flybridge and installing a simple though hull drain to allow water to drain overboard from the back corners. I  saw an old Seacraft once that had a drain hose from the bridge down to the bilge, that might be an option as well. 

not sure how ambitious you are feeling,  but have you seen this boat.   they have solved this issue along with building a bad ass boat.

I did see that one for sale. Its gorgeous. Do you know about L&H boats in stuart fl? Still using the original molds, modified to make the 33.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2018 Photo Contest Winner

The 4th Annual Chris-Craft Commander Club Photo Contest had more than 50 entries and selecting the winners was not an easy task. 

First place: submitted by Pat Chaps

Second place: submitted by Martin Krall;

Third place: submitted by Jeff Pacy.

To view all entries to this year's contest,         Click Here

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service