Is the Q engine block a special casting or a standard Chevy block

Views: 287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is the crank standard Chevy, with just a change in cam and firing order?

Your best bet is going to be to buy a marine long block already set up for the rotation you need. There are a few differences with reverse rotation. 

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/350ci-base-marine-engine-1967-1986-re...

Robin Cobb said:

Is the crank standard Chevy, with just a change in cam and firing order?

same block,head,,oil pan and intake and timing chain cover are different,,just rebuilt the port engine ,you have already a good heat exchanger and all the bracket for alternator and sea raw water pump,,and transmission bell housing,,you can just put new ring on piston and new bearing for the crank and rod,,if you need to overbore the cylinder where the piston is broke ,just do it on this cylinder,0.010 or 0.020 over,, make just 5lbs of compression compare to the rest of the piston compression,,we do that a lot in car racing on a budget ..or find a good engine and dress it with the Q parts,,and you will save a lot of money and enjoy more the boat..how do you like your boat so far ??

use the same camshaft,,because they are rare to find for 327Q..maybe need to be polished to take out the surface rust ,if have rust,,i will doubt ,but in case of some rust ,,do it yourself with polish paste you can find at autozone..new cam bearing are very cheap..

Just make sure that the heads have the mounting bolt holes that you need. I put different heads on the F engine I put in My Century runabout and didn't have a spot for a mounting bracket for raw water pump. I had to get creative and design something else to secure it. Dave

That’s probably because the heads on F’s didn’t come with accessory holes from GM, Chris Craft drilled those. 

Dave Bernard said:

Just make sure that the heads have the mounting bolt holes that you need. I put different heads on the F engine I put in My Century runabout and didn't have a spot for a mounting bracket for raw water pump. I had to get creative and design something else to secure it. Dave

If you order new blocks from Michigan Motorz and get the correct 1967-1986 Long Block, you can request that they swap the heads for truck heads. Those heads will have the correct mounting holes for Q/F CC engine accessories.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Styled In Fiberglass

For your reading pleasure, the latest issue of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, along with past issues, can you accessed through the link below.

Styled In Fiberglass Issues

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service