Are the Q heads standard 327 heads,  or are they custom oddballs like the intake manifolds?

Views: 157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Standard Chevy Small Block pre 1986. The heads on the 283 I have that had the Q manifold on it are 307 chevy heads, I can’t remember the casting number off hand. I think alot if the Q’s had 882 heads. If you look under the valve cover there will be a casting number, many google sites will give you info for them. 

Mike is correct. Stock heads. Nothing special. Only the intake.

Captains........  the 327 Q cylinder heads were the much sought after " double hump fuelie  heads" from back in the days of the small block Corvettes  .  They had a 64 cc combustion chamber vs the 76 cc chamber " 882  cyl head " that was used on the 350 engines from the Chris Craft engine plant in Gallipolis Ohio .

That was a Chris Craft spec item for the 327 Q marine engine  .

Tim   /  still stomping Sea-Rays

Sorry I was reading the post as “are they different like the Intakes are” and my answer is still “no” they are GM heads. Not specially designed heads by Chris like the intakes were.

So you can take and off the shelf Edelbrock head of that year and it should bolt up? My heads might need some work and it might be cheaper than having them totally rebuilt.

I’ve heard this fuelie head story, yet none of my engines have them. My 283’s have a mix match of head one set is the same casting numbers as my 327’s, the other has later 1970’s heads. My 327’s have basically truck heads, 76cc small valves. I don’t remember the casting number off hand, 446 maybe. 

Tim Toth said:

Captains........  the 327 Q cylinder heads were the much sought after " double hump fuelie  heads" from back in the days of the small block Corvettes  .  They had a 64 cc combustion chamber vs the 76 cc chamber " 882  cyl head " that was used on the 350 engines from the Chris Craft engine plant in Gallipolis Ohio .

That was a Chris Craft spec item for the 327 Q marine engine  .

Tim   /  still stomping Sea-Rays

Yes, idk if I would use aluminum heads on our motors though. I think Dart Iron Eagles might work really nice though

Steve said:

So you can take and off the shelf Edelbrock head of that year and it should bolt up? My heads might need some work and it might be cheaper than having them totally rebuilt.

I just had two heads made up and completely rebuilt at my engine builder for the Q we installed last week. 300.00 Do your homework and like Mike said above? I’d stay away from Aluminum. Think about how often an impeller goes bad. Aluminum is not as forgiving on an overheat situation as cast iron. How many times do you want to tear it down and true the heads because of an ice bag covering the intake scoop?

That was the beauty of the small block chevy. many things interchangeable. what gives the Q motors the higher compression ratio's.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Styled In Fiberglass

For your reading pleasure, the latest issue of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, along with past issues, can you accessed through the link below.

Styled In Fiberglass Issues

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service