Is there any value to a pair of 327F's coming out of my 1969 Commander 31? I'm repowering with brand new Mercruiser 6.2L 300hp and in order to buy non-catalytic new engines, we are required by Mercruiser to send back two engine cores. I hate to send them back the 327's if there is any value to them. This is part of the "Cash for Clunkers" law and was quite a surprise to us.

Mercruiser wants me to send them the serial numbers from the engines and hull number from the boat before they will ship the new engines, so it's decision time now, whether to find some other junk engines, or just send them the 327's. I certainly don't want them to live in my garage for years while I'm waiting to sell them...

Views: 309

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Let them have them, 327's have almost zero value, in the boat,

or car markets The 350 killed the 327!

Most of the value will be the non-block stuff so keep the carbs, if good, the manifold, water pump both circ and raw..  Are you planning on using the same transmissions, an upgrade might be a good idea.   Enjoy the upgrade, wish I had known of this option.

Tim

Thanks for the opinion, it is pretty much what we were thinking around here. There is just so many strange parts that if someone needed them, seems like they would be hard to get...

Dan Stokely said:

Let them have them, 327's have almost zero value, in the boat,

or car markets The 350 killed the 327!

Planning on keeping the transmissions. They should be sellable and not require too much storage space. Not required to be returned by Mercruiser. But the new 6.2L's will come with the ZF63A transmissions all completely new including DTS. I don't think that Mercruiser will let us keep the intake manifolds.

Timothy "Tim" Miller said:

Most of the value will be the non-block stuff so keep the carbs, if good, the manifold, water pump both circ and raw..  Are you planning on using the same transmissions, an upgrade might be a good idea.   Enjoy the upgrade, wish I had known of this option.

Tim

No big deal on the manifolds unless they were Q engines.  Keep the exhaust they have value to many.

• Good luck
There’s alot of junk motors out there I would send in first. Stuff with cracked blocks, locked up etc. There’s value in those motors but mostly in the parts on it, not as much as a whole. But it wouls still be a shame to send them good motors that they’re just going to scrap. You should find out exactly how much of the motor you have to send back.

The law is an EPA thing.
Wow. Crazy to me that you have to go through the hastle of returning motors in order to buy new engines. I can't imagine Merc would want to deal with the cores either.

Another bizarre law in the books?

Cash for clunkers applies to boats?  Who knew. So if you don't return a core, you have to buy a catalytic-equipped motor? Never knew they had that for boats either.

I am seeing reman engines offered with no core charge, the mercy site does not mention this. Is this a state specific program?
Remans don’t require an engine to be sent back. Complete new packaged motors do.

Bruce Harkness said:
I am seeing reman engines offered with no core charge, the mercy site does not mention this. Is this a state specific program?
https://www.perfprotech.com/blog/articles/12-things-you-need-to-kno...

Bruce Harkness said:

It took a lot of phone calls over a couple of weeks to nail this down. At the end of the day the requirement to send back the cores is only for brand new engines, and only when ordered without a catalytic converter (now required by EPA on all new engines). The catalytic converter is approximately a $2,000 adder per engine. So the idea is that there can be no net gain in existing engines without the catalytic converters in the world... If they send one out, one has to come back. Buying the new engine package was quite a lot of work. For me I wanted the newest state-of-the-art equipment and that is why I didn't pursue the re-man avenue. The 6.2L 300hp is not available in re-man, since it is too new of a product.

Thanks to all who responded to my post. After obtaining the engine numbers and researching what they were it turns out that someone had already replaced the Stbd with Casting Number 3970010, Engine Number: V0112CJK, which turns out to be from a 1971 350CID 330HP used in Vette, Chevelle, Monte. So the engines were already mismatched in the boat. The port engine appears to be original as the casting number indicates that it is a 64-67 302/327/350 car & Truck 2-bolt main. One thing for sure, I'm very glad I was not planning on using these old engines anyway. Based on all the responses on my original question and what we now know about the casting / engine numbers, I believe what I have is confirmed junk and since Mercruiser includes the freight to return them, it's a great way to get rid of them!

Thanks again to all who responded!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Photo Contest Winners

This year's CCCC Photo Contest saw a record number of participating photos. The winners of the of the top three positions are:

1. James Frens with the photo of his 27 Commander, displayed to the left.
  2. Kevin R Mueller with a photo of his 42 Commander
  3. Greg Kay with a photo of his  42 Tournament fisherman.

Here is a slideshow featuring the top 10 photos.

New Issue Available

The Fall 2017 issue of the Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, is now available for download.  

Click here to download your copy.

© 2017   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service