Happy New Year all,

Has anyone changed the damper plate on their Chris? I am a new member to the club and have a 1984 CC 350 Catalina DC. I have the salon with the bar galley to rear port side. It is in the port drive line I believe my problem lies. From all I have read and inquired about the damper plate sounds like the culprit, the problem is I am getting a HUGE time estimate from the marina for changing that out. If anyone has any information on the subject I would be glad to hear any or all  Thank You much and I look forward to hearing from you all and getting to know the club in the future.

Best to all

Mark

Views: 486

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dave,

This post was a few years back but I was wondering how it went. I have a 1972 lancer with a 350Q I bought last year and the original paragon transmission is toast and am planning to replace it with a velvet drive 72C in the spring. I figured I should swap the damper plate while I'm in there just for peace of mind as I'm having a low knock at idol. Would love any insight gained as this will be my most extensive mechanical project attempted so far.

Thanks,

- Ian

Ian,

It went pretty well overall. I would certainly do the plate while getting this involved. I would be more than happy to talk to you anytime, and will try an answer any questions I could. Your welcome to contact me anytime(607)222-3065.  I also believe Lee Dahlen has a Paragon Trans from my 350 carcass, that if you would rather stay with a Paragon I'm sure we could work that out.

Best if Luck, and again anytime we can talk.

Mark 

Hi Mark,

Is the Paragon you have a P-32A Reverse rotation? I'm still debating the the Velvet drive because it's about 3/4" longer then the Paragon and will be a very snug fit. Nervous the shaft coupler will be right against the stuffing box. 

If it is, how much would you think is fair? 

ianbasilion@mac.com is my email. 

- Ian

Mark J Terry Sr said:

Ian,

It went pretty well overall. I would certainly do the plate while getting this involved. I would be more than happy to talk to you anytime, and will try an answer any questions I could. Your welcome to contact me anytime(607)222-3065.  I also believe Lee Dahlen has a Paragon Trans from my 350 carcass, that if you would rather stay with a Paragon I'm sure we could work that out.

Mark 

Will the Q specific mounts line up properly with the Velvet drive? if not then you may have angle issues with new mounts.

Ian Basilion said:

Hi Mark,

Is the Paragon you have a P-32A Reverse rotation? I'm still debating the the Velvet drive because it's about 3/4" longer then the Paragon and will be a very snug fit. Nervous the shaft coupler will be right against the stuffing box. 

- Ian

Mark J Terry Sr said:

Ian,

Mark 

Hi Steve, 

I was planning to replace the rear engine mounts from a Crusader or Mercruiser 350 setup. Both types, unlike the CC Q mounts are vertically adjustable. But I've tracked down a resource who would make a rebuilt Paragon to order. 

I've been debating weather to re-power with an easier motor to source parts for like a Crusader Classic or stick with my 350Q and hold onto some of the boats original integrity. I'm leaning toward the Q now that I found this transmission.

Thanks,
- Ian

Steve said:

Will the Q specific mounts line up properly with the Velvet drive? if not then you may have angle issues with new mounts.

Ian Basilion said:

Hi Mark,

- Ian

Mark J Terry Sr said:

Ian,

Mark 

Original is not nearly as much value as modern reliability.  Not sure but that Q's are more valuable as parts vs whole.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2019 Wall Calendars Now Available!!

The Chris-Craft Commander Club 2019 Wall Calendar is now available!!.  We're having to do things a little differently this year, so for calendar details & ordering, Click Here

2018 Photo Contest Winner

The 4th Annual Chris-Craft Commander Club Photo Contest had more than 50 entries and selecting the winners was not an easy task. 

First place: submitted by Pat Chaps

Second place: submitted by Martin Krall;

Third place: submitted by Jeff Pacy.

To view all entries to this year's contest,         Click Here

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service