I understand that the '85-'90 382, 392, & 422 are the Uniflite Hull? Question #1, is that true? Therefore, question #2; are these hulls of solid (not cored) construction?

Thank You!

I'm seriously considering a 392. 

Views: 956

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't believe the 422 is but the other two are as the lines of the hull look completely different from the 422. Even the 426 Cabin boat looks different than the 422 and I believe that was a Uniflite as well.  I was told by the owner that has one for sale that it is a Rybovich designed hull.  I would be interested in more information on the 422.  

Mike – thank you for the reply. Yes, I agree – the profile is different than the Uniflite except for the ’85 382 which looks identical to the 38’ Uniflite. But did they (Chris Craft) just change the indent? If you look at the bow, all of them sure look the same. The reason I care is that I know that the Uniflite was of solid hull construction, no coring, and that’s what I think I want so never a problem with water intrusion (I.e. like Egg Harbor has). Let’s face it, I’m looking to buy a 30+ year old boat. I have searched and searched for specifications on the 382, 392, and 422 but can’t find the answer?

I presently own a 1985 Chris Craft 422 with 6V92 TA Detroit diesels and would be happy to help answer questions on this model.

Joe Signorelli

Barbara Ann

New Orleans, LA

Great Joe - Thank you! Is your 422 a solid hull (i.e., not cored)? If it is, I would assume the 382 / 392 are also? Thanks - Chuck (Ps. I'm also looking at a 422 but so far, too many dollars.)

I do not believe the 422 Commander Sport Sedan is a uniflite designed hull, although my boat was built at the Swansboro, NC plant after Chris Craft aquired the uniflite plants. The hull is not cored, I have removed the sea cocks for replacement and found the hull bottom to be over 1" thick solid glass mat and resin. I also have not found the hull above the water line to have cored construction. The 422 is a rock solid hull, with large fiberglass rectangle designed stringers running the full length of the hull.

Joe Signorelli

Hello,
I own a 1990 392. It is the Uniflite hull and is a solid bottom. We love the boat. Very comfortable in most sea conditions. Ours is diesel powered, 3208 CAT's. Love them.

Regards,
Paul

Just picked up a 1985 382 w/ 454's in fantastic shape. The solid Uniflite hull design was definitely a draw. 

p.s. This thread is 2+ yrs old.

The 1985 Chris-Craft 382 was the old Uniflite 38 Convertible - same boat. For 1986, Chris-Craft redesigned the house and the bridge and this was the 392, which was made 1986 - 1990. A nicer looking boat than the Uniflite for sure.

The 42 Tournament Fisherman 1974 -1982 was a Chris-Craft designed hull, somewhat based on the 45TF. Same boat but with a cheap interior and gaudy graphics was the 421 model 1983 and 1984. Still same hull, but with a restyled house and bridge, it became the 422 model for 1985-1990, a really nice looking and modern boat. These 42's have a great hull, efficient and seaworthy - just ask John Even.

The Chris-Craft 482 Convertible, made 1985 - 1988 was originally the Uniflite 48 Convertible. This Uniflite hull had a solid bottom with balsa cored hullsides. For 1989 Chris-Craft stretched this hull a little and made it one year only as the 502 Convertible.

Thanks Tom

We have the 420 1979 a very good boat with Detroit 871 TI's have been all over the great lakes north channel and Georgian bay.

Tom Williams said:

The 1985 Chris-Craft 382 was the old Uniflite 38 Convertible - same boat. For 1986, Chris-Craft redesigned the house and the bridge and this was the 392, which was made 1986 - 1990. A nicer looking boat than the Uniflite for sure.

The 42 Tournament Fisherman 1974 -1982 was a Chris-Craft designed hull, somewhat based on the 45TF. Same boat but with a cheap interior and gaudy graphics was the 421 model 1983 and 1984. Still same hull, but with a restyled house and bridge, it became the 422 model for 1985-1990, a really nice looking and modern boat. These 42's have a great hull, efficient and seaworthy - just ask John Even.

The Chris-Craft 482 Convertible, made 1985 - 1988 was originally the Uniflite 48 Convertible. This Uniflite hull had a solid bottom with balsa cored hullsides. For 1989 Chris-Craft stretched this hull a little and made it one year only as the 502 Convertible.

Its fun to hear about the few Uniflight hulls. Its hard to find information on them. I have what reads a 1984 382. The twin 454's gave me a lot of trouble after buying, but its a fun liveaboard.

I have an 85 382. Love the boat. Queen island birth in the forward state room, bunk room to starboard, head with fully enclosed shower to port. the salon has an L shaped couch that converts to a queen birth. The cockpit is huge, great for fishing or entertaining. Mine has twin 545 Crusaders, 350 horse. I have had the boat out in some snot, always felt very confident in her capabilities. Big wheels and rudders make her very responsive for her size, and enable her to handle OK on one engine if necessary. She has the classic looks of the old Uniflite and draws approving looks wherever we take her. 

The US Navy Vietnam era, 31' river patrol boats were built by Uniflite (remember "Apocalypse Now"?). Uniflite won the contract because their hulls were flame resistant. 

Regarding solid hulls and water intrusion.

Not to discourage you from purchasing  a classic boat,  I auctually have experienced some intrusion in my sold glass bottom on my 1958  1968 35 commander.

Mine ended up taking water in sideways thru the joint between glass shaft log and hull. Over 49 years of use/ freeze thaw cycles combined  with a few rather large  factory voids in the layup next to  the shaft logs. 

While preping my bilge for painting I 

Uncovered a small pinhole just aft of the port  shaft log. A little more than Four gallons ended up comming out of the layers of glass in this area. 

I was forced to grind  out a large area 

Of wet and delaminated glass then lay several new layers of new glass .

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2018 Photo Contest Winner

The 4th Annual Chris-Craft Commander Club Photo Contest had more than 50 entries and selecting the winners was not an easy task. 

First place: submitted by Pat Chaps

Second place: submitted by Martin Krall;

Third place: submitted by Jeff Pacy.

To view all entries to this year's contest,         Click Here

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service