Hi,

I am considering a 41 Commander MY early '80's vintage.  How does the boat handle at sea and at the dock?  The one I am considering has the original 454's. I know it is not a speed demon, but what are for real numbers for speed and efficiency be?  If the boat is kept to hull speed say 8 or 9 knots will it get 1.5 miles to the gallon?  Are there any particular qwerks to look out for when looking at her?  Thanks!

Paul

Views: 1032

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So has anyone really rolled a 410?

The Catalina 35 and 36 are similar in design layout. Do they share the same roll issue?

John Brock

My 47 has the fuel tanks under the master berths like most of the 41s, but I don't have an issue with rolling. Locating more weight outboard, assuming it's low in the boat, is supposed to improve stability. I think they did that because they went to a queen bed due to shifting customer taste and that was the only place to put the tanks. On my 47 I may get some roll if one of those assholes in a giant sportfish usually flying a UGA, Alabama, or patriots flag, or 2 of the 3, passes me at 20 knots with wake on the stern quarter. Then I may get 5-8 degrees. Otherwise my boat doesn't move a lot. Even with the rude sportfish guys, I've never had a glass or food slide off a table. This is in the Intracoastal in Florida, where unless there's a storm it's worse in there than it is offshore on a typical Saturday.

Underway, mine is notably more stable than other boats of the same size that I've been on. Is the hull design on the 41s that different?

Not sure what those sports teams have to do with rude boaters in giant sportfish boats. I'd say rude people are equally dispersed among fan bases and non sports fans alike. 

I have no clue other than they have been statistically over represented in my observations of rude boaters. There’s a guy with a car dealership - sized Tennessee flag on a Viking who gives everybody a slow pass and calls on the radio to ask what side. There’s a bunch of tennesee fans who set up on disappearing island, all polite. I see gator flags, FSU, Miami, you name it, all polite. Most people do flags hats etc. down here, most places in Florida everybody is from somewhere else. But I swear if you see a patriots flag on a sportfish grab something and hold on. This is after 25 years boating in the same area, I’m not just talking like it’s happened one time.

Hi Paul. I looked at a 41 before I bought your dad boat. I would say the 41 rides pretty close to the 55. Maybe a little more tender at the dock but at 10-12 Knots pretty much the same.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Styled In Fiberglass

For your reading pleasure, the latest issue of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, along with past issues, can you accessed through the link below.

Styled In Fiberglass Issues

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service