I'm looking to replace the fuel filters on my 427s.  My Commander is a 1967 42 Aft Cabin. Anybody know a part number and where I can find them?  I've looked in the files and couldn't find anything referencing them.  I will search my Super Disc, but if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks, and hope everyone is looking forward to a great boating season!

Views: 304

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From the Super Disc, I now know that there are two filters on the 427.  The front one is apparently a screen only, and I assume I can simply clean that.  The other one is on the back of the engine, is larger, and has a replaceable filter inside.  That would be the part number I am looking for.  Any help is appreciated!

Kevin,

If it's the brass Groco you are speaking of, the only way to get the right one is from Groco. I know many people put others in, but they don't have the disc on top and the flow is not correct with out it. I have friends at Wix, and they concur, you have to use the OE Groco to make it work properly. Get your wallet out:) Here is a link to the Groco sheet.

http://www.groco.net/SVC-MAN-07/Sec7/GF/GF-250-375.pdf

Kevin,

Did some checking, right now, Wal-mart is the cheapest. Order two and beat the shipping. Good luck

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Groco-GF376-Filter-Element-For-Gf-375/329...

Sterling, How do I know if I need the GF-250 or GF-375?

Sterling Shriber said:

Kevin,

If it's the brass Groco you are speaking of, the only way to get the right one is from Groco. I know many people put others in, but they don't have the disc on top and the flow is not correct with out it. I have friends at Wix, and they concur, you have to use the OE Groco to make it work properly. Get your wallet out:) Here is a link to the Groco sheet.

http://www.groco.net/SVC-MAN-07/Sec7/GF/GF-250-375.pdf

Maybe the filters are the same.

Sterling Shriber said:

Kevin,

Did some checking, right now, Wal-mart is the cheapest. Order two and beat the shipping. Good luck

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Groco-GF376-Filter-Element-For-Gf-375/329...

It appears to me, they use the same. Mine are 375's on my 42

Great!  Thanks for the information.  I'll be ordering two before my next trip to the boat.

For what those filters cost you could switch over to a universal separator/filter if you where so inclined. Form then on filters are usually about $8

Mike you are for sure correct. That's what I did. However!!!!! anytime you alter or add something to one of these old girls you run the risk of stirring up issues. I created a real PITA on my one motor. I don't want to bore everybody with my tail of woe, but the basic concept is the same. Sometimes it's better to let sleeping dogs lie, and just feed them the way they are used to being fed. :)

Hold the phones ! Stop the presses! DON'T order yet! Remember, you're on the Commander Club Forum, not one of those be all to everybody forums that blather how they "are so much more than just a fancy web site" !

Here at the fancy web site we deal in answers and ideas that help our members keep their Commanders running well, and hopefully save them some money at the same time. Here's an idea for you, one that I used on our 38 for over 20 years, so you might say it has the Patty Wagon seal of approval. The price of the Groco GF-376 filter has always been ungodly, but at $42 plus shipping, it constitutes highway robbery. Especially when all it is is a large, thin plastic washer attached to a conventional (read $6) automotive filter such as the Deutsch FF425 or WIX 33271, both of which are about $6-7. You can find them online, or auto parts stores. The process is removing your old Groco filter and using a thin table knife or two, pushing the plastic washer retaining tabs inward and prying the plastic washer off the old filter. Now you take a needle nose pliers and remove the neoprene grommet from the new CHEAP filter :-) Now all you have to do is snap the plastic washer onto the Deutsch or Wix and you have a direct replacement for the overpriced Groco. It's been about 7 years since I did one of these conversions and I seem to remember once in a while I had to remove the washer from the new filter and bend the metal around the filter hole downward a bit to tighten the washer up a bit. This really ain't rocket science gang --- The first time you do it and save yourself about $70 on a pair of filters, you'll slap yourself in the head and say why didn't I think of this so I didn't have to buy Morland a martini at Dubuque this summer :-) !!

Remember, you saw it here first !

PS - Kudos to Sam Carter who dug around in a PW (Sharondippity) parts bin to find a new Deutsch filter and it's number

Dick, I'm going to change mine using your method. Thanks for the thorough instructions and explanatory photos.
Kevin. I wish you the best of luck. I agree with Dick. Great way to go. I planned that route also. Got my Wix replacements and drove to the boat. Opened up the grocos and rutro, no discs. Just an automotive replacement in there already. I hope you are lucky and they are there for you. Scott

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Registration Is Open!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

What: 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous

When: July 27 - 29, 2018

Learn everything you need to know about the 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous by clicking the link below (You can register here too!!):

2018 Rendezvous Site

Chris-Craft Commander Club YouTube Channel

In an effort to expand the video sharing for the club, we have built a YouTube Channel. We hope you enjoy watching the wonderful videos our members have chosen to share.    

Click Here To Learn More

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service