Hello Captains, This is a subject that has many threads over the years. But now I am faced with it and after reading many of the older posts I do not come away with a definitive decision. My Starboard fuel pump, 427/300 gave up the ghost today. Spraying fuel since the PO did not drill and tap and insert a visible hose. Luckily I smelled it immediately. My port engine has been converted to electric. It has the proper set-up for oil pressure shut off. I carry two spare electric fuel pumps on board since I knew this day was coming. I know the mechanical can be replaced, but I know it is a real challenge to get out. For those of you who have faced this, should you stay mechanical, or go to electric with the proper safety shut off's? I know this is easier. I have the parts to go either way.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Scott

Views: 216

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would go electric. Starting my boat after it sits all week is always tough, it would be nice to be able to get fuel to the carbs before I have to start cranking.

Good Afternoon. Did you ever put in the electric fuel pumps ? If so how hard was it to do ? Thank you  Augie

Augie,

Yes I did. It was work, but not terrible. I recreated the oil pressure manifold for the safety switch, and ran wire back to the tank. From there it was pretty straight forward. I did not remove the old mechanical. All is working fine.

Whatever pumps you use, be sure they are powerful enough! If you’re using something like the Carter car pumps (that are listed as “marine” in some place but are not) you’re likely starving your engines. This can lead destroying your engine. You’ve got be using something like the Holley blue or black with a regulator, Edelbrock, etc.

I would stay with mechanical fuel pumps. Electric is a fire hazard. Electric tends to flood carberators out running for a time. 

Trey - I’ve run them for 5 years and never had a flooding issue. The key to the 427 is making sure it gets enough, so pressure gauges are a must. All that being said, if I didn’t have closed cooling, I would have mechanical pumps.

Matt is that because of access or other reasons?

Access. The only way to practically service the pump is to drain the coolant and remove the tubes. Total PITA.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Styled In Fiberglass

For your reading pleasure, the latest issue of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, along with past issues, can you accessed through the link below.

Styled In Fiberglass Issues

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service