I’m currently on a trip. After each run I like to check in the bilge. Yesterday I opened the hatch and there was a belt laying between the engines!  After she cooled down I got down there and found the port alternator laying next to the engine. The pivot bolt was sheared and the slide broken. Seems odd to me. If it seized I would assume it would just smoke the belt but..  after consideration I disconnected the wires from the parralel solenoid and tied them together. Should keep both batteries charged to get me home yes?  I have about an 80 mile ride home. 327Q’s. Thoughts?

Views: 159

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The bracket is cast so it is fragile.  If the alt bearings seized it could break and drop the belt.  If batteries are charged you probably could get home without concern but with stb alternator good, jump port and stb banks and head for home.  The plan you have is pretty much this answer.

Keep  the braket pieces, I brazed my port slide when it broke, different problem.

Mark - you’ll find out pretty quick if your other alt can’t carry the load, though suspect you’d get at least a couple hours. If you have a volt meter on the batteries, will be easy to monitor. To be safe, I’d turn off anything non-essential to at least buy a little more time.

When you get to replacing, shoot me an email. I currently have more alternators lying around than I could deal with in a lifetime and will make you a deal you can’t refuse if you can use one.

As long as the batteries are charged one alternator should be fine as Tim said. The way my boat was previously wired it always ran on 1 alternator or the other. Do not try to charge 2 discharged batteries with 1 alternator though, I melted the windings on mine that way. Even the stock alt is at least 30 amps, you won’t be pulling that running the engines and gps.

Thanks for the replies.  Matt I will be in touch  my other thought was to run the generator to keep the house charger on  but it sounds like I should be fine  shoving off soon  I will keep you posted

I

does that belt also drive the coolant pump ?

Belt is for alternator only. 

Ran great. No issues. Matt I will be in touch soon

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2018 Photo Contest Winner

The 4th Annual Chris-Craft Commander Club Photo Contest had more than 50 entries and selecting the winners was not an easy task. 

First place: submitted by Pat Chaps

Second place: submitted by Martin Krall;

Third place: submitted by Jeff Pacy.

To view all entries to this year's contest,         Click Here

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service