I accidentally broke the starboard sliding glass window yesterday and was wondering if anyone has ever had to replace one.  It looks to be a straight window without a curve in it. I'm thinking I could take the pieces to a local glass dealer and use the dimensions to make a new one.  Does anyone have a better idea, or know of any marine salvage company that might have one?

Views: 119

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am currently in the process of replacing the sliding glass next to the helm of my 31' 1968 Commander Hard Top. Chris Craft used clear safety glass. Any glass place should be able to make you one as long as you have a pattern to give them

The PO broke one of my cabin side windows. He just took the pieces to a local window glass shop and had a new one made with safety glass.

I had the same question earlier and here is what my response was when I had the same question on the fourm…

When it comes to the steps on removal and installation here is what I received from another member..

I'm in the middle of a project that involved taking out the side windows on my 31' Sports Express.  Here is how I did it.

• remove the top and bottom trim strips and the roughly square strip (jam) that forms the inboard side of the channel for the top plastic window track.
  • the front aluminum mullion that frames the aft edge of the triangle window is held in place by two screws at the top and two bolts/nuts at the bottom.  On the helm side you can see the two barrel nuts in the trim board under the window.  On the stbd side the nuts are in the hutch above the sink in the head compartment.  The top two screws are under the aluminum molding on the edge of the cabin roof and it will need to be removed for access.
  • the triangle glass is stuck to the frame with rubber glass setting tape.  Use a hammer and block of wood to tap the frame loose.
  • reassembly is the reverse.  Your glass supplier probably has the rubber glass setting tape.  If not, I found it at restorationspecialties.com 1 1/2" wide x 1/32" thick.  Sold by the foot.
  • the side windows are removed by sliding the the rear fixed glass pane forward until it is clear of the angled portion of the top window frame, tilting the glass panes inboard at the top to clear the frame and lifting them out of the bottom channel.  This is easier said than done.
  • the windows/frame assembly is tilted inboard at the top by design.  This reduces the clearance on the inner edge of the window frame so you cannot tilt the glass inboard at the top to clear the frame without first removing the top horizontal plastic track and most likely also the thin wood spacer (slat) that may be under the track.
  • the plastic track is attached to the frame with small screws or brad nails.  The wood spacer with brad nails.  Once loose, you can slide the track forward until it is off the two panes of glass.  With the track out of the way there is plenty of room to side the wood spacer out sideways.
  • It is highly likely the track will break in the process as they get brittle with age.  If it does, Beckson Channel-Mate double 1/4" track is the replacement.  Try hard to save the wood spacer if there is one.  It may taper in thickness along its length and is difficult to duplicate.
  • Settling of the roof structure may jam the rear fixed window in place at the corner where the 45 deg angle changes to horizontal along the top edge.  If this is the case, use a small bottle jack to lift that corner slightly to free the glass pane so you can slide it forward.  On the helm side you can just set the jack on the counter top.  On the port side, I suggest you put the jack on the floor instead of the dinette table as the downward force could damage the table and/or hanging wall brackets. 
  • Re-assembly is the reverse of this order.  Set the glass panes in the bottom track, tilt the tops back in position, slide the rear pane aftward into the angled portion of the top track/frame, slide on the top plastic track, slip the wood spacer in place and attach the track and spacer with brad nails and/or tiny screws.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am relieved to see this is a doable job and with Greg's step-by-step instructions I have a good idea on how to proceed.

Best Regards,

Lewis 

Thanks to Greg for writing or reposting the best description of window assembly ever! It will come in handy when I get around to figuring out why my sliding side screens and windows are so hard to move.  As if being nearly 50 years old isn't reason enough :-)

I will give credit where credit is due....Keith Ferrio was the member of the group that gave me detailed instructions. I have held off on the replacement of my windows until this fall....

Greg

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Styled In Fiberglass

For your reading pleasure, the latest issue of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, along with past issues, can you accessed through the link below.

Styled In Fiberglass Issues

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service