My Coast Guard Master 50 Ton Inland license arrived in today's mail!!  Now starts a new adventure. Well, not really now, I still have a day job. But over the next few years I'll be looking for opportunities to serve on boats to increase my experience, especially in the Atlantic ICW.

So excited!!!

Views: 173

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

CONGRATULATIONS JIM! 'To United States Merchant Marine Officer" It is a certificate of professional competence and well earned, The Inland License is superior to the Ocean Operators License (6 Pack License) which allows you to take up to 6 passengers off shore near coastal.

Good Job

Congratulations!! Very cool!!

Awesome! I would lke to do this one day, mostly for my own gratification, maybe deliver an occational boat.
Congrats, Jim! Definitely an item on my bucket list.

congratulations, I know that much time is spent in working towards this license.  Great news!

Awesome!!! Congrats!

I started in March of this year with a class offered by Boatwise Marine Training, a local (Boston area) outfit. Tuesday and Thursday evenings, all day Saturday and Sunday, for a month. The exam at the end substitutes for the Coast Guard exam. Then it's just a matter of documenting 720 days on a boat, either your own or someone else's. Lifetime experience counts, but a certain percentage has to be in the last five years. A medical exam, drug test, and a TWIC (Transportation Workers Identity Card) from the TSA are the other requirements. (The TWIC card has the added benefit of getting you thru airport security faster.)

I took a US Power Squadron navigation course when I was in high school, my dad wouldn't let me take the family boat out alone unless I finished that class. That training was repeated in the Boatwise class, plus a lot more. A  LOT more!!

Thanks for all the kind words.

Jim

Congratulations Jim. As a retired Coast Guard Reserve officer, I have nothing but the greatest respect and admiration for your drive to complete the course. It takes a lot of perseverance and sacrifice to follow it to the end.  

Thanks, Cliff. Coming from someone with your experience, that means a lot.

Thanks for the info on the TWIC card at airports. I carry mine, but being retired haven't found a good use for it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

New Executive Committee

The results of the executive committee election are now in. As from January 1, 2108 the executive committee will have the following members:

• Chief Commander - Lee Dahlen
  • Treasurer  John Rose, New!
  • Web Master - Pam Sorensen, New!
  • Archivist - Charlene Pike
  • Membership Chair - Matt Cowles
  • PR-Chair --- John Heenan, New!

Read about our new executive committee here. 

Photo Contest Winners

This year's CCCC Photo Contest saw a record number of participating photos. The winners of the of the top three positions are:

1. James Frens with the photo of his 27 Commander, displayed to the left.
  2. Kevin R Mueller with a photo of his 42 Commander
  3. Greg Kay with a photo of his  42 Tournament fisherman.

Here is a slideshow featuring the top 10 photos.

New Issue Available

The Fall 2017 issue of the Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, is now available for download.  

Click here to download your copy.

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service