What color code is the copper color on the bottom and what is the best type of paint to use? I want something good so I don't have to do it every year. Will be docked on the Mississippi River so there's plenty of algae.

Views: 666

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Directly from Sandusky, part # 960. Looks like they have the color chip mixed up.

http://www.sanpaco.com/Bottom%20Paints

Why don't you call them ? 419-626-2461

I will. Thanks! 

I am on the Mississippi River as well... upper, just between the Quad Cities and Dubuque.  I have done two boats now... removing years of other layers of paint, and going with the original copper.  We purchased a number of years ago, 6 gallons of Interlux Bottomkote - Y999 is the designation.  Not sure if you can find it, but I recall it was about $125 or $150 a gallon.  

At any rate... The BottomKote is a very thin paint... I usually do the whole underside every 4 years, but in between I can easily get away with sanding the bow, the sides, and the transom and rolling a coat on.  I sand down where the water line is to remove any scumline that might be there after they do a hot powerwash in fall.  I have zero complaints, and many compliments on how the boat looks.  

Chris
1967 42 Commander

I've seen the Petit version of copper on a boat, but it doesn't have the shine that the Interlux has.  

Sharp!!

Chris Orphal said:

I am on the Mississippi River as well... upper, just between the Quad Cities and Dubuque.  I have done two boats now... removing years of other layers of paint, and going with the original copper.  We purchased a number of years ago, 6 gallons of Interlux Bottomkote - Y999 is the designation.  Not sure if you can find it, but I recall it was about $125 or $150 a gallon.  

At any rate... The BottomKote is a very thin paint... I usually do the whole underside every 4 years, but in between I can easily get away with sanding the bow, the sides, and the transom and rolling a coat on.  I sand down where the water line is to remove any scumline that might be there after they do a hot powerwash in fall.  I have zero complaints, and many compliments on how the boat looks.  

Chris
1967 42 Commander

I've seen the Petit version of copper on a boat, but it doesn't have the shine that the Interlux has.  

Hello Mark:
The original bronze bottom paint on our 1970 42’ Commander DC and our 1971 47’ Commander, when brand new, came with the International Paint, precursor to Interlux.
It tended to be a bit on the glossy side but was elegant when fully dried. I do not remember the paint code but I believe that info can be gotten from the hull cards pertaining to your hull number from the Mariner’s Museum in Virginia. The paint code may be different from today’s code in that the paint color was not available for a number of years. Just giving you the full info on this issue.
Best Regards,
Jim Rivas

Thank you,  Jim! 

Jim Rivas said:

Hello Mark:
The original bronze bottom paint on our 1970 42’ Commander DC and our 1971 47’ Commander, when brand new, came with the International Paint, precursor to Interlux.
It tended to be a bit on the glossy side but was elegant when fully dried. I do not remember the paint code but I believe that info can be gotten from the hull cards pertaining to your hull number from the Mariner’s Museum in Virginia. The paint code may be different from today’s code in that the paint color was not available for a number of years. Just giving you the full info on this issue.
Best Regards,
Jim Rivas

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Registration Is Open!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

What: 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous

When: July 27 - 29, 2018

Learn everything you need to know about the 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous by clicking the link below (You can register here too!!):

2018 Rendezvous Site

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service