What color code is the copper color on the bottom and what is the best type of paint to use? I want something good so I don't have to do it every year. Will be docked on the Mississippi River so there's plenty of algae.

Views: 723

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sandusky Paint Company has the Chris Craft Copper Bronze bottom paint- $100 quart)

Thank you!  How many quarts to do a Commander 31 bottom? 

Idk about their paint, but the paint I’ve been using I get 1 coat per thinned gallon on my 31. For a new bottom you would probably want 3 coats, that’d be a $1,200 paint job :O 

I’ve been doing cheap West Marine Blue since it was a blue ablative when I bought it. I’ve been getting it when I goes on sale for $60/gal and I put 1 coat on each spring. So far has been working very well, though one day I woukd like to go back to copper. 

Mark Riehm said:

Thank you!  How many quarts to do a Commander 31 bottom? 

That's spendy alright. What route did you go on your bottom? 

West Marine cpp, one thin coat per year. 

Mark Riehm said:

That's spendy alright. What route did you go on your bottom? 

I might go that route. Will do some thinking on this. The copper sure looks nice, though.

Pettit and Interlux had Copper bottom too closer to $200/gal

Mark Riehm said:

I might go that route. Will do some thinking on this. The copper sure looks nice, though.

I sanded off the blue ablative in Spring 2017 and used Pettit Hydrocoat black (it actually looks more like very dark brown to my eyes). Very easy to work with (water cleanup) and I had no grunge on the boat when I hauled it in October. I'm in brackish (mostly fresh) water with occasional forays into salt water. And the Hydrocoat is relatively reasonable in price (about $120 / gal). I bought two gallons, used about 2/3 of one gallon for my 27 to do one coat, with a second coat in some spots. I will apply another coat this coming spring, which should take somewhat less. And I'll be happy to do it, because sanding off the blue was one major pain in the butt.

Thank you! That sounds better than $100/quart....

Mike H said:

Pettit and Interlux had Copper bottom too closer to $200/gal

Mark Riehm said:

I might go that route. Will do some thinking on this. The copper sure looks nice, though.

I'm not looking forward to the process but I wanna have her standing tall when she hits the water. Scored an unmolested original boat for the most part and I'm looking forward to splashing her. Work to be done beforehand!

Jim Frens said:

I sanded off the blue ablative in Spring 2017 and used Pettit Hydrocoat black (it actually looks more like very dark brown to my eyes). Very easy to work with (water cleanup) and I had no grunge on the boat when I hauled it in October. I'm in brackish (mostly fresh) water with occasional forays into salt water. And the Hydrocoat is relatively reasonable in price (about $120 / gal). I bought two gallons, used about 2/3 of one gallon for my 27 to do one coat, with a second coat in some spots. I will apply another coat this coming spring, which should take somewhat less. And I'll be happy to do it, because sanding off the blue was one major pain in the butt.

The process of painting isn't bad, but if you need to remove prior paints, that's the nasty part. I would have gone the soda blasting route, but 1. it's expensive and 2. no one was available until mid summer.

Get a floor creeper, makes working under the boat much easier. I used a rectangular furniture dolly with a wooden box on it about 6 inches high, worked perfectly for the outer parts, under the keel I used a 2x10 plank on the dolly.

Wondering to myself how to lift the boat to get to the places it's currently resting on. Think the boat weighs in the neighborhood of 10,000 lbs. Gonna take a serious jack......

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Styled In Fiberglass

For your reading pleasure, the latest issue of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, along with past issues, can you accessed through the link below.

Styled In Fiberglass Issues

________________________________________

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

_________________________________________

 

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service