Recently purchased a 1974 47 Commander...had been sitting in water 10 years with little use.  Ran it up Mississippi to Mack City...with issues you might expect.  However all resolved at this writing. all valves adjusted, all systems flushed. I have a question about the breather hoses--there are four, all extending into the rear of the engine room into what appears to be original equipment--four plastic jugs in a secure mount just in front of the synch.  Engines have 2700 hrs each.

Oily and dirty---

Is this normal, and can they be rerouted either back to the turbo, or out board?

Views: 465

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We had a 47 with the same engines. can't imagine what these 4 bottles are for. We did not have anything like that. How about a couple of pictures? BTW, most 45's & 47's were powered by Detroit diesels, so there's not too many members here really familiar with these engines. They were so monstrous and overbuilt for their power output they just run -- and run-- and run. You get the idea.

Do not attach the hoses to your turbo's. If attached to the pressure side, you will pressurize the motors and have oil leaks everywhere. Attaching hoses to the suction side would cause the turbin blades to load up with residue that could cause a turbo failure, do to unbalance. I would cleanup the system you have, and make sure the vents on the jugs are clean. This type of system is designed to help keep your engine room clean. It is important that the hoses are clean inside so pressure from the engines can vent to the jugs, if not internal pressure in engines will cause lots of oil leaks. Good luck with your new boat!

Here's mine. '76.
Attachments:

Thanks guys for your advice and pics---got some work to do this winter, but you have given me great information.  Ill get a couple of pictures in a few days.

Mike Watson said:

Here's mine. '76.

Mike,

Your 76 engines have a diesel version of an automotive PCV system (positive crankcase ventilation.), along with a nice intake air filter set up. While it's well done, I'm thinking it was aftermarket parts, installed by a previous owner (or yourself). These engines are not 2 cycle Detroits and are really clean for a diesel, not normally needing things like Air-Seps or other engine room air cleaning devices. In the 5 years we had our 47 I never once smelled any engine blow by in the main salon, or even in the engine room during post oil change running. This is kinda mysterious. As I said before, we don't have many members that know much about these great old diesels. Perhaps Dave DiSesa, who spent some time in my engine room whilst running, or Jim Rivas will chime in on this difference between engines.

Dick,

As always thank you for your valued input.  What you say makes sense and I have very limited records on what had been done to to the boat over the last 41 years.  But it's there and I don't think it can do much harm. 

The work done on it sense we've owned it is long.  Both water pumps on each engine rebuilt, coolant tanks an coolers acid washed, hoses replaced, new electronics, ....  The starboard has a miss and it could be related to a slight leak in the fuel pump that will have to come off and put on a bench.  May be valve.  Who knows and I am learning about diesels daily.  I am fortunate that I found a local mechanic that is not of afraid of old stuff and "McGivers" a way around "not available" and does a lot of work on old farm tractors.  I still can't get used to the idea that 41 years is obsolete.  We will be putting it in heated storage in the next two weeks but global warming this year sure has extended the season.  We have a lot of cosmetic and electrical things to do as well. Would love to find someone that can work on the Chris Craft Total Command System.  Half the the things on both helms don't work or are unreliable.  What a mess of wire with limited or no access.  Boats!  But we really enjoy the boat running or at the dock.

Mike,

Thank you again--although cosmetics were pretty good, (small soft spot in for deck being repaired this winter) the engine room has been badly neglected. Much clean up, and no upgrades. this CCV system is aftermarket, but perfect for my situation I think. When we left Louisville, many of the systems were inoperative and had been that way for years. A little research, and searching aboard, all are now operational. Found a hidden switch deep behind the helm which switched on the Auto Pilot, as an example. Electronics are being updated this winter as well. . In general, I have found the Helm far more accessable than the older, more preferred "modular" helm of earlier models.. I was able to locate a Cummins mechanic in Bay City "Diesel Dan" who loves these engines but was also head scratching about the breather jugs--will share your solution. Still have a bit of sooting problem on starboard engine to solve. Have enjoyed her greatly nonetheless this summer and the notoriety at each harbor from South Haven to Bay City----lots to do, but well worth the effort.

Mike Watson said:

Dick,

As always thank you for your valued input.  What you say makes sense and I have very limited records on what had been done to to the boat over the last 41 years.  But it's there and I don't think it can do much harm. 

The work done on it sense we've owned it is long.  Both water pumps on each engine rebuilt, coolant tanks an coolers acid washed, hoses replaced, new electronics, ....  The starboard has a miss and it could be related to a slight leak in the fuel pump that will have to come off and put on a bench.  May be valve.  Who knows and I am learning about diesels daily.  I am fortunate that I found a local mechanic that is not of afraid of old stuff and "McGivers" a way around "not available" and does a lot of work on old farm tractors.  I still can't get used to the idea that 41 years is obsolete.  We will be putting it in heated storage in the next two weeks but global warming this year sure has extended the season.  We have a lot of cosmetic and electrical things to do as well. Would love to find someone that can work on the Chris Craft Total Command System.  Half the the things on both helms don't work or are unreliable.  What a mess of wire with limited or no access.  Boats!  But we really enjoy the boat running or at the dock.

I was able to find all the manuals that provide most every detail you need.  I'll send them to the archivist. 

Louis M Schillinger said:

Mike,

Thank you again--although cosmetics were pretty good, (small soft spot in for deck being repaired this winter) the engine room has been badly neglected. Much clean up, and no upgrades. this CCV system is aftermarket, but perfect for my situation I think. When we left Louisville, many of the systems were inoperative and had been that way for years. A little research, and searching aboard, all are now operational. Found a hidden switch deep behind the helm which switched on the Auto Pilot, as an example. Electronics are being updated this winter as well. . In general, I have found the Helm far more accessable than the older, more preferred "modular" helm of earlier models.. I was able to locate a Cummins mechanic in Bay City "Diesel Dan" who loves these engines but was also head scratching about the breather jugs--will share your solution. Still have a bit of sooting problem on starboard engine to solve. Have enjoyed her greatly nonetheless this summer and the notoriety at each harbor from South Haven to Bay City----lots to do, but well worth the effort.

Mike Watson said:

Dick,

Mike, you can just scan, save to a file, then upload the file to the library.  Scanning is the biggest part but it must be done by someone ;-(

Mike, Louis ---

If Mike is referring to "Total Command System Service Manual" and "Total Command Engine Control Module", they are already scanned and in our Library in the files section, P - U 

Mike has generously shared the manual for the Cummins VT8-370 and the parts manual for the Cummins VT8-370.  They have been uploaded to the Library files section A-E

http://commanderclub.com/page/files-a-e

Thanks, Mike!!  

Is this the 47 that was for sale North of Louisville?  As I recall it had Cummins.  There can't be too many of them out there.

-Darin

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Great Aerial Video of a  45 Commander

© 2017   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service