All, I bought a 1984 410 over the winter and have started to repair somethings. The boat will be pulled from the water in two weeks for an inspection. While I have it out I am going to have a bottom job done. I discovered that the lower depth finder does not work. The one on the fly bridge does. With the boat out of the water is this the time to take a look at them. Also while she is out what other things should be looked at? Thanks ahead of time for your responses. Jim

Views: 403

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jim,

While it's out you might want to consider swapping the simple depth finder for a true fish-finder that shows the bottom contour. If you anchor out in unfamiliar waters this would be helpful, and modern fish finders aren't that expensive. A thru hull transducer isn't cheap but as long as you have the boat out of the water you could make use of the opportunity.

Jim, congrats on the new boat: Before you pull her, check the shaft logs as well as the rudder packing. If they are dripping too much, get then fixed while she is out. Also check the rubber hoses on the shaft logs if so equipped. I would check the operation of all sea cocks while she is out. Easier to service them on the hard. Check bedding on all thru hulls. Make sure the tabs operate. They can't be fixed usually in the water.

Probably would be a good time to look at all the exhaust hoses. Of course its a great time to polish the sides and touch up the waterline and boot stripes.

Good luck

Sterling...thank you for the recommendations. I have contemplated purchasing the CCCC maintenance disc that has been talked about in the Clubs newsletter, and after reading your suggestions I am convinced to do so. Also I have been trying to locate a copy of an owners manual for the 1984 410 commander but have not located one. Do you know of a web site that may have one to download or purchase from?

Sterling Shriber said:

Jim, congrats on the new boat: Before you pull her, check the shaft logs as well as the rudder packing. If they are dripping too much, get then fixed while she is out. Also check the rubber hoses on the shaft logs if so equipped. I would check the operation of all sea cocks while she is out. Easier to service them on the hard. Check bedding on all thru hulls. Make sure the tabs operate. They can't be fixed usually in the water.

Probably would be a good time to look at all the exhaust hoses. Of course its a great time to polish the sides and touch up the waterline and boot stripes.

Good luck

Jim...thank you very much for the idea. I really like the thought of being able to see the contour of the bottom of the lake. Do you have two or three brands you would recommend that I take a look at? Thanks...Jim

Jim Frens said:

Jim,

While it's out you might want to consider swapping the simple depth finder for a true fish-finder that shows the bottom contour. If you anchor out in unfamiliar waters this would be helpful, and modern fish finders aren't that expensive. A thru hull transducer isn't cheap but as long as you have the boat out of the water you could make use of the opportunity.

Jim. I would recommend the super disk. It is an unbelievable resource. As far as a  manual goes, I do not know where to get one. I have one and I find it to be very general. The most valuable one is the engine manuals. I would assume yours are either Mercs or Crusaders. Those would both be available from them. E-bay is a good source, but I don't recall seeing an entire boat manual on there. Jim Wix may have a source. As I said, the notebooks that came with the boat have an insert from the individual manufacturers of systems and then a very general overview from Chris Craft. Good information but not very specific to your model. IMO

Thank you Sterling.

Sterling Shriber said:

Jim. I would recommend the super disk. It is an unbelievable resource. As far as a  manual goes, I do not know where to get one. I have one and I find it to be very general. The most valuable one is the engine manuals. I would assume yours are either Mercs or Crusaders. Those would both be available from them. E-bay is a good source, but I don't recall seeing an entire boat manual on there. Jim Wix may have a source. As I said, the notebooks that came with the boat have an insert from the individual manufacturers of systems and then a very general overview from Chris Craft. Good information but not very specific to your model. IMO

I have a Humminbird 570DI in my Grady White, with a transom mount transducer. I'll probably move that unit to the Commander to replace the simple depthfinder this season. The 570DI is not a current model but take a look at Humminbird's website, they have a huge selection.

Jim Hasenbeck said:

Jim...thank you very much for the idea. I really like the thought of being able to see the contour of the bottom of the lake. Do you have two or three brands you would recommend that I take a look at? Thanks...Jim

Jim Frens said:

Jim,

Jim...I will take a look at their website. Thanks and I will let you know what I end up with...Jim

Jim Frens said:

I have a Humminbird 570DI in my Grady White, with a transom mount transducer. I'll probably move that unit to the Commander to replace the simple depthfinder this season. The 570DI is not a current model but take a look at Humminbird's website, they have a huge selection.

Jim Hasenbeck said:

Jim Frens said:

Jim,

I have had good luck with the Lowrance products that combine gps and depth.  It is nice to have a track that was previously safe to follow when leaving the channel.  I have abandoned the through hull transducer and switched to a puck epoxied aft of the engines and have had good luck with it.  Before removing the through hull I would switch between the two and never found a problem.  Generally we are viewing 8 to 80 feet here on the river so I am not sure about the comparative accuracy at greater depths.  The unit I have currently I think is the HDS-5 Gen2 ( http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Fishfinder-Chartplotter/HDS5... ).

Tim

A ps to the above, I have purchased from and recommended this vendor, http://www.threeriversmarine.net/lowrance-3.aspx several times.  Always pleasant, professional and helpful.

Timothy...thank you for the recommendation. I will take a look at this brand also and let you know where I end up. I like the idea of combining the GPS feature for the very reason you suggest. Thanks again...Jim

Timothy Miller said:

A ps to the above, I have purchased from and recommended this vendor, http://www.threeriversmarine.net/lowrance-3.aspx several times.  Always pleasant, professional and helpful.

Silicone will also work to stick a transducer to the inside of a hull.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Registration Is Open!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

What: 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous

When: July 27 - 29, 2018

Learn everything you need to know about the 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous by clicking the link below (You can register here too!!):

2018 Rendezvous Site

Chris-Craft Commander Club YouTube Channel

In an effort to expand the video sharing for the club, we have built a YouTube Channel. We hope you enjoy watching the wonderful videos our members have chosen to share.    

Click Here To Learn More

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service