I watched the Dick Avery film "Commander Styling Story" for the first time last night and it was fascinating! If you haven't viewed it yet, I strongly recommend taking the 15 minutes. (The link is in the column on the right, here on this page).

Question for the group: At the end of the film they show brief glimpses of some of the original artwork Dick drew way back when he was designing the boats. Does anyone know if they are publicly available? I would LOVE to have a reprint of the artwork Dick produced for the 31' Commander. I think it would be wonderful to have a copy framed and hanging in the den or on the bulkhead.

I did a bit of digging in the archives last night and am coming up empty.

Thank you!

Views: 363

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's a screen grab of one of them. The 31' Commander version of this is what I'm after...

They must have been available at some point because I have a Dick Avery signed print of the 31 framed and hanging in our boat. It was in the boat when I purchased her and I'm guessing that a PO might have attended a rendezvous where Dick was signing them? If you go to my pics you can see it hanging on the bulkhead above the stove.

So um... how much is that drawing worth to ya? And do you take checks? LOL

Lon Lehman said:

They must have been available at some point because I have a Dick Avery signed print of the 31 framed and hanging in our boat. It was in the boat when I purchased her and I'm guessing that a PO might have attended a rendezvous where Dick was signing them? If you go to my pics you can see it hanging on the bulkhead above the stove.
Haha...not for sale...sorry. Surely there's an old timer here that knows something about how it was obtained and whether there are any available. Good luck!

I was asked to sign on and chime in on this query about signed Dick Avery prints. Years ago, when the Commander Club was younger, a number of things were donated to the Mariner's Museum in Newport News, VA. I will do some digging to see if I can recall if the Avery drawings you're talking about were part of that donation (I honestly don't know off the top of my head, it has been so long ago).

I know Whitney Pillsbury took a number of Avery's drawings, did a high quality scan of them, had them signed, duplicated and framed through CafePress years ago. We auctioned them at Rendezvous dinners (they were a big draw!). I was lucky enough to get in on the printing, and have a beautifully framed Avery-signed drawing of my old 42' hanging in the house. These were really, really well done. I'm betting that's how the owner of Lon's boat got the one he has now - obtained at a rendezvous meeting.

I'll see if I can drum up some better memory on these prints, and report back to you guys. Even though I sold my 42' several years ago, I still love that print.

Greg Beardmore said:

Here's a screen grab of one of them. The 31' Commander version of this is what I'm after...

Hopefully I did this right and attached is a screen grab of a 31 that I had a graphic designer clean up. 

Attachments:

This is exactly what I'm looking for Doug, thank you so much! 

Now if i can press my luck... this is a very low resolution photo, only 80 kb is size. It won't print very well I'm afraid. If you happen to have an original image (larger file size) you could upload I'd be ecstatic!

Very grateful for the assistance!!!

Doug Basford said: 

Sorry Greg I had to grab this off some site and this was the best that I could do. I also wish it was a higher rez. If some has a higher rez photo I can get it cleanup.

Greg Beardmore said:

This is exactly what I'm looking for Doug, thank you so much! 

Now if i can press my luck... this is a very low resolution photo, only 80 kb is size. It won't print very well I'm afraid. If you happen to have an original image (larger file size) you could upload I'd be ecstatic!

Very grateful for the assistance!!!

I fooled around with it a bit in an editing program. I have a .BMP of the file attached in what appears to be higher resolution. I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to see how it prints in color.

Have a go with it Doug... :)

Attachments:

There used to be a screen saver and that may have been one of the shots in it.

Is there one of a 47 floating around?  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Great Aerial Video of a  45 Commander

© 2017   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service