Electronic ignition on a 35' 1972 Chris Craft Commander...

I am having a problem with "low spark" on my 427 cu. in.(300hp) engines. My mechanic suggested converting to an electronic ignition. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I am also going to replace both non submersible sump pumps. With the "deep vee" not all pumps will be appropriate. Any suggestions. 

Thank you.

Jim

Views: 155

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have the original pump aft located between the fuel tanks.  This is the same as the water pressure pumps, the inlet is a section of 3/4 copper tube with the end pinched closed, multiple holes drilled in the bottom and a slight bend to connect to a rubber hose going to the pump.

Electronic ignition is a good thing but I would not use the kits that install readily in your distributor.

Tim

If you put the Pertronix in, I’d highly recommend having them installed by Dave VanNess of VanNess Engineering. The riveting that hold the units in place can be imprecise causing the distributor to be out of phase.

I put electronic distributors in my 327's. I highly recommend this upgrade. I had Pertronix modules in the old distributors but i still had issues with the advance and finding distributor caps. The improvement in starting and keeping the engines synced is significant.  

Tim:

I also have the original pumps (look like Jabsco) and I would like to rebuild them . 

I believe they have kits. Am I wasting my time? Thank you.

JIm

Nope - they’re easily rebuilt. If you want one with new seals and diaphragms, I’ll sell ya mine. Only weakness is the intake port needs to be resoldered into place.

What Matt said.  I have rebuilt one several times.  Only loss is one which the bearing of the lift rod failed.  I think it had been rebuilt 3 or 4 times and a new motor was installed several years ago. It was replaced with the original water pump, I added a newer style supply pump and a small surge tank for the water supply.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Styled In Fiberglass

For your reading pleasure, the latest issue of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, along with past issues, can you accessed through the link below.

Styled In Fiberglass Issues

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service