Got out on Saturday for a test run... first time away from the dock this year.  I've run the engines a few times and all my winter tasks are complete.  20 feet from the dock the Port engine dies.  NOT THIS AGAIN.  Water in Fuel? Water under distributor cap?  Got it going a couple times more and long story short, same thing on Sunday... decided to change the distributor cap and spark plugs because that's what I did to the Starboard last year when it acted up.   Installed them last night... everything fires up and runs nice.   Head out for a test this evening and everything is going fine.  A couple times I move up to 1500, then back to idle (that's when it stalled before) ... time to go up on step...  2000....2500...2800...3000 .....   Port engine suddenly dies at 3100 rpm  boat turns left.  After I gain control and I go to try to restart.  forgetting I'm still in forward.  engine turns over then sputters... then clunk. Not sure how it turned over when I was still in gear, normally it won't let me do that.  I pull it back to neutral. Try again. Clunk Clunk Grind.   Back to boathouse on one engine. again!   @%$#$#$&*&%%$%#@%^^%$*(

Back in the shed begin my inspections.  Pulled the starter... no shavings or wear on the gear.  Pull the Transmission dipstick.  Looks full and clean.  Move the gear cable to forward and reverse... seams ok.  try turning the shaft by hand turns free but it is really loose... compare it to starboard shaft... very loose.!

Where do I start? I'm running GM 350K engines (counter rotating engines) about 5 years old with original Paragon P33 2:1 transmissions.  This being the port it is the normal rotation.  Can they be inspected in the boat... is this a must be rebuilt to be reliable situation? Is it possible this isn't 5 Boat Bucks by the time I'm done?

Lee I read your story about a small transmission leak from 2016 about rebuilds and recommendation of Kalamazoo...  they have rebuilds on the shelf? Already sent an email to them from their website.   

Views: 316

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Update,  PHEW!

Starter rebuilt $200, connect 2 wires and 3 bolts... up and running.  

But still have condensation in the new distribution cap! see new thread.... re drilling holes in cap.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Styled In Fiberglass

For your reading pleasure, the latest issue of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, along with past issues, can you accessed through the link below.

Styled In Fiberglass Issues

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service