Folks,

After being a member for about six months and buying my first Commander I finally figured I would reach out for a little advice!  I'll have to say the people involved in putting the website together and all of the members have been a huge help by reading the posts, using the Superdisc and even finding my first boat.

I am located in Nashville, TN on the Cumberland River and was fortunate enough to acquire a pampered 38 Sedan previously owned by Bill Smith and Wayne Roworth.  I have a few questions about gauges I was hoping  to get help on.

I have the original gauges in the Salon and Faria gauges on the bridge. All of the gauges have contact as I checked them by shorting them out.   I called Faria to try to buy a dual sending unit and the rep there said I would have problems with the gauges being accurate since the salon and the bridge gauges are made by a different manufacturer.

My goal is to make sure all of gauges work, salon and bridge (hoping to use the original helm gauges as they are beautiful and have been restored in the last decade.  

What would you guys recommend that I do to make sure I have accurate information, especially while driving from the bridge?

Thanks in advance for any advice!  I am a newbie with boats, electrical and their many challenges but am excited to have a new hobby.

Cheers,

Chris Mitchell

My Three Blondes

Views: 133

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chris,

I have the same issue but have learned over the years that there are some things on a boat that must be repaired and some things you just live with.  This is one issue that I have learned to live with and after a while you will be able to mentally know that when the gauges don't agree from cockpit to bridge it really doesn't matter as long as they are consistently reading the "normal" for each one's value.  I'm thinking I might get some push back on this philosophy but if you try and make everything "perfect" on a boat you just won't have enough time left over to enjoy the boat unless you like working on it all the time.  Just my 2 cents worth.

In the mean time, Good Luck with your new boat!

Tim G.

I had Kocian convert my manual tachs at the down station to electronic and still have the original Faria tachs on the bridge. every once in a while my port tach on the bridge goes haywire but calms eventually. The tachs on the bridge are off about 100 RPM's but that dosen't bother me either. I just set them close then adjust them till in sync. Dave

 I have that exact setup on my 41, two different style gauge. There is no guarantee that even with separate sending units that the gauges will read the same because they will be located at two different locations on the engine. I went the dual sender route and I know what is correct readings on the lower helm and upper. The only one I really need to keep an eye on is the temps and they are off about 10 degrees. I took the money I would have spent on making the gauges perfect and added engine alarms instead. Money well spent and now I only check ,my gauges 1/2 as much. I say do what works for you and enjoy a wonderful boat! 

Thanks for the help! Alarms are on my list!



Kevin McKinnon said:

 I have that exact setup on my 41, two different style gauge. There is no guarantee that even with separate sending units that the gauges will read the same because they will be located at two different locations on the engine. I went the dual sender route and I know what is correct readings on the lower helm and upper. The only one I really need to keep an eye on is the temps and they are off about 10 degrees. I took the money I would have spent on making the gauges perfect and added engine alarms instead. Money well spent and now I only check ,my gauges 1/2 as much. I say do what works for you and enjoy a wonderful boat! 

Thanks Dave!

Dave Bernard said:

I had Kocian convert my manual tachs at the down station to electronic and still have the original Faria tachs on the bridge. every once in a while my port tach on the bridge goes haywire but calms eventually. The tachs on the bridge are off about 100 RPM's but that dosen't bother me either. I just set them close then adjust them till in sync. Dave

Two cents that I'll take!  Thanks!



Timothy C. Gressett said:

Chris,

I have the same issue but have learned over the years that there are some things on a boat that must be repaired and some things you just live with.  This is one issue that I have learned to live with and after a while you will be able to mentally know that when the gauges don't agree from cockpit to bridge it really doesn't matter as long as they are consistently reading the "normal" for each one's value.  I'm thinking I might get some push back on this philosophy but if you try and make everything "perfect" on a boat you just won't have enough time left over to enjoy the boat unless you like working on it all the time.  Just my 2 cents worth.

In the mean time, Good Luck with your new boat!

Tim G.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Styled In Fiberglass

For your reading pleasure, the latest issue of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, along with past issues, can you accessed through the link below.

Styled In Fiberglass Issues

________________________________________

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

_________________________________________

 

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service