I have a repowered 67 38 ft commander sedan and it has Ford 460 engines with Chrysler manifolds and parts does anyone know what these engines are

Please help me figure out what these engines are there Ford 460s with Chrysler parts and there from the 80s does anyone know what they are?

Views: 747

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It’s impossible to put Chrysler manifolds on a Ford, they’re not even close. To figure out what you have pictures and casting numbers would help alot.

Are you sure they are Ford's? Where are the distributors? If they are in back of the the carb, they are probably Chrysler 440's. The Ford 460 had the distributor in front of the carb. 330 HP(I think)

There was a period  when  Ford was on strike and BB Chysterical were used.

In the Mid 80's Chrysler Marine marineized 460 ford blocks as the 440 Chrysler BB was no longer available. This practice went on until Chrysler shut down the Marine division in late 80's

When using a handheld device one should always check the newly minted word suggested, Chysterical may be found in some dictionary  but probably not linked to Chrysler. 

Captains......... after the Chrysler Marine  440 was discontinued in the 80`s the Chrysler Marine M 460  was the replacement . Ford supplied the package & Chrysler marinized  it with a center hi - rise  header type exhaust  system & other external Chrysler stuff  with electronic ignition . 

The Marine version power output was 340 hp @ 4600 rpm with peak torque of 440 ft lbs @ 3200 rpm .  The carburator was a rochester  4 barrel quadra - jet  . Big block power from Chrysler marine till they shut down the marine divison . 

Tim

--------

Well that was unexpected. Learn something new. Have to imagine parts are just about as bad to find as the Q’s

Tim Toth said:

Captains......... after the Chrysler Marine  440 was discontinued in the 80`s the Chrysler Marine M 460  was the replacement . Ford supplied the package & Chrysler marinized  it with a center hi - rise  header type exhaust  system & other external Chrysler stuff  with electronic ignition . 

The Marine version power output was 340 hp @ 4600 rpm with peak torque of 440 ft lbs @ 3200 rpm .  The carburator was a rochester  4 barrel quadra - jet  . Big block power from Chrysler marine till they shut down the marine divison . 

Tim

--------

My assumptions have also been smashed on several subjects I thought I knew. Humble pie is really not all that tough to swallow. It tastes better as one ages. If I knew it all, I would not be here to experience the wonderfully knowledgeable CC forum.

For that I am grateful. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

You can't make this stuff up. Ford blocks, Chrysler manifolds, GM carburetors. Who new. Frankenstein Lives!  

Reminds me of AMC

Nat Brady said:

You can't make this stuff up. Ford blocks, Chrysler manifolds, GM carburetors. Who new. Frankenstein Lives!  

Throw in an American Motors distributor just for fun!

Be careful.

The "Chrysler" manifolds are not just Chrysler manifolds from a 440, they are Chrysler Marine manifolds for a Ford 460 marked as "Chrysler".

It would also be simplest if you consider your engines as Ford engines that Chrysler badged and added some parts to.

Now all of that said,if or when you need to replace the exhaust manifolds you will probably need to either find some used manifolds since the marine 460 was orphaned by OMC, Ford, and Chrysler or else adapt Chevy 454 manifolds. There are adapter kits made to do this. Basically just a flat adapter plate. This is probably your best choice since it will get you to a readily available part.

Barr still offers a standard straight log manifold, but that will probably take a lot of work to make it work well.

Most of the rest of the parts are Ford or just general marine parts

Nat Brady said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2019 Wall Calendars Now Available!!

The Chris-Craft Commander Club 2019 Wall Calendar is now available!!.  We're having to do things a little differently this year, so for calendar details & ordering, Click Here

2018 Photo Contest Winner

The 4th Annual Chris-Craft Commander Club Photo Contest had more than 50 entries and selecting the winners was not an easy task. 

First place: submitted by Pat Chaps

Second place: submitted by Martin Krall;

Third place: submitted by Jeff Pacy.

To view all entries to this year's contest,         Click Here

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service