I have a repowered 67 38 ft commander sedan and it has Ford 460 engines with Chrysler manifolds and parts does anyone know what these engines are

Please help me figure out what these engines are there Ford 460s with Chrysler parts and there from the 80s does anyone know what they are?

Views: 741

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I DID A 67 38FT COMMANDED 460 CHRYSLER REPOWER (FORD BLOCKS) LATE 80S - LAST SEEN BOAT IN GREENWICH CT - COULD THIS BE HER , RISER REPLACEMENTS WERE PLEASURE CRAFT - I BELIEVE I HAVE A SET IN THE BARN , IF YOU COULD USE THEM ,I AM  IN CT 

No but there was a 42 Commander sold in the last 12 months that was also repowered with 460 Fords and they too had Chrysler parts.  The guy who sold the 42 (and restored it) is the same guy that restored this boat.  If can find out who owns this one, contact him and I'll bet he can help.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1968/Chris-Craft-Commander-Flush-De...

When Chrysler took the Government loans in the 80’s, their 440 program was killed as part of the mandatory fuel reduction language in their loan package. Chrysler Marine was the most profitable division of Chrysler at the time, essentially keeping the company “afloat”. A majority of their orders were for the big block 440 model. Without the 440, Chrysler was unable to fulfill their marine orders. So they went shopping for a big block to source. In steps Ford’s Industrial Division. Ford sold Chrysler the industrial version of their famous 460 block. Hardened valves and seats, beefed up bearings, better block material, etc. They really are workhorse engines. Chrysler took these blocks and put their distributor, electronic ignition, manifolds, and risers on them and called them the M460. A Ford block and internals, with Chrysler ignition and cooling, and a Chevy Quadrajet carb. A true abomination that actually made a superb engine... if you can find parts for them. The biggest challenge is the aftermarket manufacturers stopped making now manifolds and risers over 15 years ago due to not enough supply to justify continued production.

There are some aftermarket shops that produce a stainless steel exhaust manifold, if you can swallow the $1,500 per side, per engine. At one time there was also a conversion kit that would adapt a Chevy 454 exhaust manifold to the Ford block. As I understood from other people, the aluminum conversion kit often leaked. Beyond that tidbit of knowledge, I haven’t heard much more about the kits.

I do have two 1988 M460’s that are being parted out either whole or in pieces. I still have both sets of exhaust manifolds that were part of the fresh water cooling system. The risers were raw water. Both the manifolds and risers are in remarkable shape. Should you need any additional information or parts, please let me know.

Thankyou guys i found out the engines and got the parts i needed and the information i needed to thankyou all and have a great day

A cheap way to ship parts is on Greyhound Bus lines.  You will have to drop it off at the Greyhound Station and the other party with have to go to the station to pick them up.  I have done this many times with heavy parts.

Pat

Oh they are bud I got one up here in canada and even when I contacted Chrysler they didn't have parts i had to get the parts from a sketchy guy up in Ontario 

Mike H said:

Well that was unexpected. Learn something new. Have to imagine parts are just about as bad to find as the Q’s

Tim Toth said:

Captains......... after the Chrysler Marine  440 was discontinued in the 80`s the Chrysler Marine M 460  was the replacement . Ford supplied the package & Chrysler marinized  it with a center hi - rise  header type exhaust  system & other external Chrysler stuff  with electronic ignition . 

The Marine version power output was 340 hp @ 4600 rpm with peak torque of 440 ft lbs @ 3200 rpm .  The carburator was a rochester  4 barrel quadra - jet  . Big block power from Chrysler marine till they shut down the marine divison . 

Tim

--------

thank you but my boat has never been restored and i have owned it for 8 years this summer but thank you or the help.

Jeff Pacy said:

No but there was a 42 Commander sold in the last 12 months that was also repowered with 460 Fords and they too had Chrysler parts.  The guy who sold the 42 (and restored it) is the same guy that restored this boat.  If can find out who owns this one, contact him and I'll bet he can help.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1968/Chris-Craft-Commander-Flush-De...

Yep! Tim Toth is correct. saw and worked on my first one in NY on a 36 Sportfish!

They DO exist.

Lee

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2019 Wall Calendars Now Available!!

The Chris-Craft Commander Club 2019 Wall Calendar is now available!!.  We're having to do things a little differently this year, so for calendar details & ordering, Click Here

2018 Photo Contest Winner

The 4th Annual Chris-Craft Commander Club Photo Contest had more than 50 entries and selecting the winners was not an easy task. 

First place: submitted by Pat Chaps

Second place: submitted by Martin Krall;

Third place: submitted by Jeff Pacy.

To view all entries to this year's contest,         Click Here

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service