Good luck to  all our friends and members in Irma's path and keep us posted.

Views: 788

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For gods sake if it looks like you're even close to the path, please haul the boat, then haul yourself to safety. This things a monster...hit 180mph winds today, the barometric pressure is still dropping, and it's almost perfectly symmetrical. Don't chance this one and be safe!
Not that simple, it's florida, everybody has a boat, and when a storm comes none of the marinas have any room to let you sit on the hard. Still trying to figure out what I'm going to do, she's in Daytona. I might run up to Jacksonville and put her in the Ortega river where my other boat is, it's much more well protected. But nobody has room to haul you out.

Same here in Boynton Beach,  we have so many boats that do not move, many owners from out of town, others clueless. Big decisions by Tomorrow afternoon


Guess I wasn't trying to be literal guys. Totally understand there are challenges in dealing with the boat. The main point I was trying to make was to make sure you are safe.
Actually I would like some advice.

The boat sleeps at Halifax harbor marina. Floating concrete docks with 10+ foot high concrete pilings. Not as high as I would like, but a pretty good shot at being higher than any storm surge. From what I have read this is a pretty safe arrangement. Older style floating docks where the pilings are short will wreck your boat when the whole dock with all the boats still on it floats up and over the top of the pilings leaving them all in a jumble.

There is a 1/2 mile wide barrier island with tall buildings, and a park with some sparse trees, but otherwise not much else that's close by to be a windbreak. In prior storms people have lost canvas, antennas, hard tops. My neighbor got all his canvas shredded during Mathew, but that's mostly because he was an idiot for leaving it up. It is pretty well protected from wave action, with a narrow entrance channel, though the channel is east/west with no dogleg.

Option 1 is stay put. I will go to west marine and get a bunch of lines and center the boat in the slip. Everything will be doubled or tripled up. I usually ride out hurricanes with my family in Daytona, so at least I would be close by. That is the main reason I am attracted to this option, although I don't know if it's a valid reason or not.

Option 2 is get in the boat and go to Jacksonville, where my other boat stays on the Ortega river. The Ortega is well protected. It has trees, houses, bridges and other windbreaks on all sides. It is comparatively narrow so you don't get large wave action. It is not situated east/west, so the alignment is a windbreak itself. It's also nearly 30 miles inland from the coast. The docks aren't floating so surge is an issue, but usually is <5 feet because so far inland. I am pretty confident that nothing would happen to her here. The downside is the trip would take from now until Friday, it's a long trip from Daytona, not to mention the trip back, and I have so much going on at the office. But not enough to be worth losing the boat over.

Option 3 is get in the boat and head somewhere else, further south or north, or the gulf. I don't view this as a realistic option, because there is no guarantee the storm won't just go there too. They can't really predict what it will do after 4 or 5 days.

What would you do? I am having difficulty deciding.
Here are pictures. First is Halifax harbor. Second is a sat picture of the area, and the third is a zoom in on the Ortega river.

Chris, obviously my location only presents tornadoes, floods and earthquake threats so put that background on the scale opposite this advice.  Do the best you can for possessions and then spend strategy and time on you and loved ones.  Among other things Mother Nature if fickle and your guess will only be that and preparation will help increase your chances.

Good luck to all,


According to the future forecast points, the eye will be passing over my location on Sunday afternoon. This is not good. I can't even to begin to get my head around the destruction that will occur. I only hope that I will be able to send an update.

Chris Wickersham said:

Actually I would like some advice.
What would you do? I am having difficulty deciding.
I would go to Jax if I were you.

Get out! Tied down, and shag @$$ as fast as you can, as far North as you can. Having just been through the effects of Harvey here in Houston, I will never allow my family to stay ever again. At the first sign of impact, we're packing up and getting them out.

I'll be thinking of all the CCCC Members in the Florida area. Y'all stay safe and remember boats can be replaced, lives can't. 

Chris Wickersham said:

What would you do? I am having difficulty deciding.

well this is the first time that I have sit down and type and I am fading fast. Moved Malabu II over two slips that was set up for the owners SF, double pilings even with the front post and additional pilings. .. My 15' tender got partially swamped 2 weeks ago, got all the electric replaced yesterday and could not get it o Idle today fortunately I borrowed a kids bass tracker and got all the lines adjusted. I am more concerned with other boats crashing in to me as a lot were not addressed. A tender is a MUST, well time to go cut down awnings. wish me luck!
Byron......Oh my phone was stolen out of my truck yesterday major bummer

The track has changed to the west. The eye will probably not hit Dade, Broward or Palm Beach counties, which is good but it will put us on the dirty side of the storm. Not good.

I tied my 38 Chris Connie up in my slip at Marina Bay 25 years ago waiting for Andrew. I began to think that if the windows were breached, the rain might over power the pumps. That is realistically assuming that the marina would loose power and the pumps would only be powered by the batteries.

I the did something I had never done before and it caused me considerable anxiety: I started my reliable Onan 6.5 MCCK to power the battery charger, closed up the boat and left for a friend's house. I left the boat with the generator running! That was against everything I had learned.

The next day I came back and there was the Onan purring away just like I left it. The unusual circumstances brought about by this survival situation may have people thinking and doing things they had never done before.

Good luck Byron & Chris and everyone else in Irma's path. It will be a stressful couple of days but we will prevail.

Reply to Discussion


Club News

Registration Is Open!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

What: 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous

When: July 27 - 29, 2018

Learn everything you need to know about the 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous by clicking the link below (You can register here too!!):

2018 Rendezvous Site


 Chris-Craft Commander Club YouTube Channel

In an effort to expand the video sharing for the club, we have built a YouTube Channel. We hope you enjoy watching the wonderful videos our members have chosen to share.    

  Click Here To Learn More


© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service