Good luck to  all our friends and members in Irma's path and keep us posted.

Views: 764

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All is well, gusts to 70 out of the southeast expecting gust to at least 90 later today. Not much rain. High tide at 12:30. Hang in there West Coast.

http://video-monitoring.com/beachcams/boyntoninlet/     Not much beach left prior btw the property to the north is for sale  for $195,000,000.00

We in south Florida are SO SO lucky. We, at one time, were forcasted to receive the eye wall of cat 5 hurricane. We actually received the outer bands of Irma which, at this location, was a cat one. It was a classic cat one. Read the destruction etc. for a cat one and that is what we received.

I am lucky again that there was no damage at my location and that power was out only for a matter of hours. The power is out in most of Broward county but the expect that restoration will be quick. Hurricane Wilma took out the power in most of Broward county. It took down most of the wood poles and damaged the grid as a result. The power company, Florida Power & Light, went on a repair and upgrade program. The old wooden poles, whether damaged or not, were replaced with concrete poles. As a result, it is reported that very few poles are down, which speeds up recovery.

There is minor flooding throughout the county. I say "minor". Well, if you have a foot of water in your home, that is not minor - that is HUGE. But, that is better than water to the roof top. The flooding is nothing like Harvey.

There is more than enough fuel in south Florida. It is in the tanks at Port Everglades. It needs to be delivered to the gas stations. 

I have been watching helicopter coverage on one of the local stations. Most of the marine interests seemed to do fairly well. Damage was what one would expect in a cat one storm. A marina with most boats looking OK with some obviously compromised and a few swamped. Pictures of a 35' sail boat in the end zone of a football field, a 55' Hat swamped with the port side on the bottom at a dock. On the other side of the dock is what looks like a 60' Sun Seeker tied up untouched.

Oh, we are so lucky. It could have been much worse here in south east Florida.

Okay, whew, finally had a minute to post. Right before setting off for Jacksonville, the NHC said the storm track was shifting west and going to the area between Tampa and Orlando, leaving Daytona Beach alone. So we stayed put.

Boat made it through. The only casualty was my canvas scarboard panels under the aft deck rails, one corner of it tore on the port side. I should have taken it down with the rest of the canvas but didn't think about it. The anchor light also came unbolted from the top of the signal mast and was hanging by the wires, the set screw flew away. But that's a $0.20 fix.

Not bad considering she went through 60-70mph winds with gusts higher. Otherwise, not a scratch. I am more relieved than I can express, I know it's just a material thing, yada, yada, but the truth is I really love this boat.
Attachments:

Nice shots Chris, I bounced back and forth to the boat today to give her a good scrub and straighten up the interior. Delray had its poles upgraded too in the past few years, a day and a half w/ power isn't too bad. here are some shots of mine... I'm off the blow out my shop

Attachments:
Nice pics Byron, she's a beauty! The tinted windows really make your boat look awesome, even better than the difference it made on mine. Glad to hear you made it through the storm.

Here is something I saw today, at the carribean jacks marina just down the river from me, it was sad.
Attachments:

What you should take away from Byron's pictures is how to prepare a boat for a hurricane. Nice long lines and a lot of them ! I counted 15, going to different pilings, boat is nicely centered in it's slip. The longer the lines, the more storm surge the boat can take. Nice job Byron !!

As Irma approached Florida, I saw videos and pictures of quite a few marinas where many boats had no prep at all. 4 short lines and a couple of really small fenders if any. I think it's boaters like these that are the reason many insurance companies will not write any coverage on non-trailerable boats in the southern coastal areas of the US. At least CCCC members are a cut above the slackers !

I agree with you, and Byron. We are on a floating dock so you want the lines tight vs. loose, but otherwise I'm in complete agreement. My storm philosophy is 'spiderweb'. Heres a pic:
Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Great Aerial Video of a  45 Commander

© 2017   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service