It looks settled.  I will spending September helping to run a later model 57 Carver across the Great Lakes from Chicago, around the top of Michigan, to the Welland Canal, to the Barge Canal at Oswego, to the Hudson and then south to Florida.  Which is nicer?  Up the Wisconsin side or the Michigan side of Lake Michigan to get around?  Any suggestions regarding the nicest marinas that can accommodate a 60 footer easily along the way? Preferably places with good restaurants and attractions within walking distance for old people.  Seeking any 'Local Knowledge' you can provide .  All advice will be appreciated.      

Views: 432

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Again Paul:

The advice just given by Charlie is a good one also.  The big Burgers out of Manitowoc, WI, depending on their size, time of season and urgency to get to their destination could use anyone of the three routes on their way to Florida as long as they were no larger than their 86" MY.  Anything larger, they would have to out via the St. Lawrence Seaway only.  Again, I can offer you any assistance that you need using your routing and the St. Lawrence.  The reason I keep writing about the St Lawrence is because there is another way to head south at Sorel, Canada that leads you into Lake Champlain and then into Lake George, NY and then down the Hudson River to NYC. Along the way it is very scenic, where many national parks have the sites of many American Revolution era forts and battle grounds However, there is a caveat, that being the height of the fixed bridges going south from Sorel towards Lake George.  I have no idea as to what model your vessel make is to know what her height limitations are.  If you are interested in meeting, I will make myself available to you.

Regards,

Jim Rivas

minor detail - there is no connection to Lake George. you would go from the St Lawrence thru the canal and Richelieu River to Lake Champlain, then the Champlain Canal to the Hudson River.

Thanks everyone.  New dilemma.  New owners insurance requires licensed Captain. Anyone available departing Seneca IL by late next week?  Going around Michigan to Lake Erie,  The Welland, then Lake Ontario to Oswego to the Hudson and down. Found out the Erie Barge Canal is closing a month early on October 19th this year.  Anyone available with Great Lakes specific experience?  New Owner only wants to stop at nicer marinas and towns along the way. Please advise.    

I'll be submitting my 50 Ton Master / Captain license application in 2 weeks, one last medical form to get filled out by my PCP. I've no idea how long it will take the CG to process it though. Oh, and there's that pesky day job I still have. But someday soon I'll be available to do this kind of work, it's my dream.....

As a last resort, there are several crew placement/employment agencies in Fort Lauderdale available through the internet. I say as a last resort because this is a sure fire solution but it will cost and it won't be cheap.

It would not surprise me in the least if the insurance company asks for a copy of the captain's masters license, and possibly, his resume, for their approval. They may also ask for your float plan. They may be reviewing it to be certain that the captains masters license covers the waters to be navigated. The insurance company could also comment on the float plan and make suggestions as to the route to be followed.

Paul Cavenaugh said:

Thanks everyone.  New dilemma.  New owners insurance requires licensed Captain. Anyone available departing Seneca IL by late next week?  Going around Michigan to Lake Erie,  The Welland, then Lake Ontario to Oswego to the Hudson and down. Found out the Erie Barge Canal is closing a month early on October 19th this year.  Anyone available with Great Lakes specific experience?  New Owner only wants to stop at nicer marinas and towns along the way. Please advise.    

http://www.callacaptain.com/

no experience with this site, but it was mentioned in the Master class I took.

Charlevoix is nice. Bay Harbor is very nice. Harbor Springs is also very good. 

Kelly Ward from Charlevoix, Mark Rondell out of Harbor Springs, Kristen Buccigrossi (currently at Walstrom, not sure her schedule/interest), and Scott Way. Anyone on this list would be good to reach out to. 

Sorry for my butchering my post. I am still learning this program.

Thanks everyone.  We found somebody.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Registration Is Open!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

What: 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous

When: July 27 - 29, 2018

Learn everything you need to know about the 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous by clicking the link below (You can register here too!!):

2018 Rendezvous Site

Chris-Craft Commander Club YouTube Channel

In an effort to expand the video sharing for the club, we have built a YouTube Channel. We hope you enjoy watching the wonderful videos our members have chosen to share.    

Click Here To Learn More

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service