We went our for a late fall cruise this afternoon in our '67 Commander 31 with 327F's (900 hrs). The boat was running great at 3100 rpm's / 22.6 mpg. for a mile or two when I noticed the port engine rpm's dropping. Within another 1/4 mile or so it was loosing power and oil pressure dramatically! I also thought I heard a couple of "backfire" type noises, but they seemed to be coming from the FRONT of the engine room area (like just forward of my feet at the helm).

I shut it down immediately and we limped back in on the starboard engine. The engine never overheated (160 max) and when I checked, the oil level was only down 1/2 qt. or so.

I anxiously invite any "arm-chair quarter back" speculation before I call the yard in the morning. Thanks!!

Views: 338

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What you are describing now does sound timing/electrical or fuel related. I cannot figure the dramatic loss of oil pressure you originally described. Could the oil pressure gauges have lost power intermitently as well --hence reading close to/zero?

Greg, you ask for answers, stick around, you get your answers with questions ;-)

Tim, I confess I don't know if I have Pertronix or not. I switched distributors with ones from Robert Henkle and we (the yard) put in electronic ignitions when I first got the boat. Anyway, this is all sounding more encouraging than it was a week ago!

I appreciate all of your patience with me! As you can tell I'm a complete idiot when it comes to engines. Having been a competitive sailboat racer my whole life, this motor thing is quite baffling. I have neither the time, talent, tools nor temperament to do my own engine work. Your willingness to tolerate me is appreciated! 

Now cosmetic work... that I "get".

Greg, I had a 21 San Juan and a 15' fishing boat when I bought the 35.  The San Juan was moored with a group of  Comet and Lightning competition so don't feel alone.  The reason I asked about the Pertronix is that it is often a solution of mechanics but it has so many failure modes I don't trust them.  I do like fully electronic ignitions but doubt that is what you have especially with the reported symptoms.  If the distributors still have the cable tach drives I would guess Pertronix or similar.  If you don't have the tach drives then they may be fully electronic but the ignition problems are suspect.  New wires, new plugs then?  Keep the faith.

Tim

PS, I was the Commodore of the Fleet That Never Sailed.  Portage de Sioux, MO 1993

You're probably right Tim. The tachs are still original, they even have that sticky cable bounce. We'll get this sorted out over the winter... the boat comes out next week up here in the Frozen Tundra.

PS: Over 30 years of Tuesday nite beer-can racing, 8 Chicago to Mac races, etc. But I swear sometimes this big engine stuff is way more intimidating!

Oh yeah, no current no floods, no need to tack every 1/2 mile or less, no barges, no mindless powerboaters!  Lightweight sailing ;-)  http://www.mvr.usace.army.mil/Portals/48/docs/Nav/NavigationCharts/...

Harbor was above Portage light.  Bluffs on the opposite side >100'  when not in flood somewhere on the above lock and dams the current was around 2 knots if gates were open below, current ~5-6 knots.  Good news, current drops white capping to >15 mph wind from west or east. 

Tim, I can't even imagine trying to sail in those tight quarters with 5-6 knot currents. No wonder the fleet "Never Sailed!"

Mystery solved this morning. Turns out it WAS sticking parts in the distributor. Repair parts on order but won't be in before the boat gets pulled for the year. So our season is over, we'll address this during lay-up. 

In a way I'm relieved to have the boat on the hard for a while. We've had our share of drama this year... ;)

Fleet that never sailed, link for reason. https://tinyurl.com/yau6qx5u

As we say about our sports teams, "Wait 'til next year."

Good luck

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2019 Wall Calendars Now Available!!

The Chris-Craft Commander Club 2019 Wall Calendar is now available!!.  We're having to do things a little differently this year, so for calendar details & ordering, Click Here

2018 Photo Contest Winner

The 4th Annual Chris-Craft Commander Club Photo Contest had more than 50 entries and selecting the winners was not an easy task. 

First place: submitted by Pat Chaps

Second place: submitted by Martin Krall;

Third place: submitted by Jeff Pacy.

To view all entries to this year's contest,         Click Here

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service