I've searched the Super Disk without finding a similar thread.

My port transmission occasionally slips when accelerating. Usually it only happens once, right at first when I'm heading out. So I immediately back off the throttle, and then when I resume easing her up on plane, it generally doesn't happen again. I have a photo of the stbd. tranny below, but they're identical. Can anyone identify it from the pic? (Shame on me for not getting that info this afternoon!)

I took one of the techs at the yard out for a test drive today and right on demand, it slipped as soon as I went to get up on place. He's going to have a look at it this week but isn't too familiar with Paragons.

I just emailed my tech the two manuals that are in the archives. I also sent him the contact info for 3 of the Marine parts distributors Char posted back in 2013. Any general thoughts as to what might be going on? Of course I'm hoping for the best but bracing myself just in case.

Thank you!

Views: 446

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Call Robert Henkel at chriscraft parts .com , he sells rebuilt paragons and can help you with parts or a rebuilt one .
I'm sure you've already done this, Greg, but you didn't say it, so....I presume you checked and changed the fluid, and are using a non-synthetic?

No Matt, I haven't (sheepish grin...) I did check the level and it's OK.

But then again it's only happened maybe 4 times, so I got the yard involved today. I'll mention your comment about synthetic fluid tomorrow. Is there a specific brand/type to be used?

Matt Cowles said:

I'm sure you've already done this, Greg, but you didn't say it, so....I presume you checked and changed the fluid, and are using a non-synthetic?

Paul, I got two new Distributors & Elec. Ignition pacs from him this spring. I didn't think of him for transmissions, so I'll reach out to him in the event it's needed. Thanks!

Paul kidder said:

Call Robert Henkel at chriscraft parts .com , he sells rebuilt paragons and can help you with parts or a rebuilt one .
Check the SuperDisc or files for what to use nowadays. I use DexMerc in mine, and when I had one rebuilt the year before last, they told me not to use synthetic in tranny's this old. I know some swear by synthetic everything, but I've not had any issues thus far on the non-synthetic.
The symtoms you describe are the exact way my trans began to die. Eventually I could only get forward gear at idle, anything more than that it slipped. Upon tearing it down found the seal rings that go to the forward apply piston were worn out. Assuming your fluid level is correct I would suspect a pressure issue somewhere.

Those are HF7 A 15's btw.

I have bad tail shaft seals and as soon as I go a little low we get the slip.  I found if the fluid is above the full line (1/4)  while engines are off I have no slip on acceleration. I have new seals and that will be done soon. Good luck.

I had that problem when I first got my boat, but it was low on fluid. No problems now that I keep it full. Although I suspect that the amount of time it was run low did not help its life expectancy any.

Make sure you are PROPERLY checking the fluid. Sounds like the trans is full and the cooler is empty. Once the pump starts doing it's thing it fills the cooler and then the trans is low.

Run the engine at about 1200 in neutral for 2-3 good minutes, and then shut the engine off and immediately check the fluid level. 

Bet it's low..

Lee

Wow, I've never done that. My CC manual says to check level when it's cold.

Thank you Lee, I really appreciate your taking the time to chime in! I'll check it as you prescribe this weekend and report back.

Here's hoping!!

Greg

Lee H. Dahlen said:

Make sure you are PROPERLY checking the fluid. Sounds like the trans is full and the cooler is empty. Once the pump starts doing it's thing it fills the cooler and then the trans is low.

Run the engine at about 1200 in neutral for 2-3 good minutes, and then shut the engine off and immediately check the fluid level. 

Bet it's low..

Lee

My manual also states to check the paragon P series on a cold engine....I know so other trans are different though.

I put Amsoil Torque Drive Synthetic in mine last year. I saw an rpm drop once but didn't feel like it slipped.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Great Aerial Video of a  45 Commander

© 2017   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service