Months ago I ordered and had installed a Performance D.U.I. distributor for my port 427 engine. That engine has never started as easily or run as well. Therefore I ordered one for the starboard. The starboard is reverse rotation. The distributor arrived and it isn't geared for a counter clockwise rotation. I called them to ask for a reverse rotation gear and the shaft with it. They said sure, $75.00 plus shipping. Not happy. A smarter move in my mind would be a courtesy swap out. I just received am email from them saying they cannot get a reverse gear for the 427, use the old one. My mechanic tells me the shaft looks different and won't work with the new distributor. Anyone run into anything like this? Possible work around? I really want the same impressive performance from my starboard engine. Thanks

Views: 256

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm 99% sure the old distributor gear will fit the DUI shaft. I'm assuming you still have the old port distributor (you didn't do anything dumb like pitch it, did you ? ) Mike the Mallory shaft and compare to the DUI shaft. If they are the same, you're in business. All you have to do is install the Stbd. Mallory gear on your new DUI and you're ready to rock and roll !

Thanks Dick, No I still have the original gear. My task right now is to confirm whether or not it will fit the DUI shaft. The mechanic said on the surface it didn't seem so, but we need to know for sure. My guess is if a new one needs to be crafted perhaps Performance or Van Ness can do it. Makes no sense to me that Performance would only be able to sell you a DUI for one side of the boat only. 

DUI really builds car distributors, that's why they don't have the reverse gear you need as 99.999999% of what they sell goes in left hand rotation engines.

I have found thru experience that a trusted educated person in the business of Chris Crafts especially is Lee at http://glassicboatworks.com.

IF I was you I would hire him to consultant on this job. He saved me from a major issue with my 283 that no one had the experience patience and know how to fix. 

That is my advice because I think I have been where you are... frustrated and in need of someone who cares which based on your e mail sounds like they are only after your $$$

I know of someone who did exactly that. The older reversed gear will swap onto the new shaft.

thanks John. Lee was here for three days last month installing the 2 new wiring harnesses. At the time the starboard distributor was on order. Yesterday my mechanic showed me that the pin on the new distributor shaft is larger then that on my gear. He will attempt to enlarge the pin hole, and mount the gear onto the larger shaft.  Hopefully I'll be back in business. 

John Heenan said:

I have found thru experience that a trusted educated person in the business of Chris Crafts especially is Lee at http://glassicboatworks.com.

IF I was you I would hire him to consultant on this job. He saved me from a major issue with my 283 that no one had the experience patience and know how to fix. 

That is my advice because I think I have been where you are... frustrated and in need of someone who cares which based on your e mail sounds like they are only after your $$$

Steven, how did your distributor gear issue end up getting resolved? My father is going through the exact same issue on his boat. Thanks, Tim

When I did my Prestolite electronic replacements about 15 years ago, I swapped the gear from the old one (thanks to Dick for sending me the right direction at the time). Punch the pin out if the shaft size is the same. 

Thanks Dale!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Great Aerial Video of a  45 Commander

© 2017   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service