Admirals and Captains:

We have "Ruby" a 1969 Commander 42 (30007) that is coming back to life nicely, after Patricia and I spent 9 and 11 weeks straight on her this spring.

I would now like to remove the aft hatch to repair chewed wood under locking screws and refinish the whole works over winter (snowing outside in Ottawa today....sob!) 

As I look at it, there is a continuous shaft holding the two hinges below deck level that cannot obviously be pulled out, and no access to the hinge screws or fasteners.

I have done a line by line search of the guide, but no news to be found (at least by me).

I am just about to start dissecting the hatch in place to get down to the hinge plates, but JUST before I do; Is there a trick or method that I have missed?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Bob Williams

Views: 270

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello. You have to remove the frame. You will want to clean the drains while your at it. Good time to recaulk the the frame anyway. Good luck 

Sterling:

Thanks for the response.

Do you mean the whole outer bronze ring?

Is it just screwed (and caulked) into the deck?

Thanks

Bob

Sterling Shriber said:

Hello. You have to remove the frame. You will want to clean the drains while your at it. Good time to recaulk the the frame anyway. Good luck 

Yes. It is screwed and caulked down. I have pics I can send you on Monday. 

I will Look forward to them.

Thankss!

Sterling Shriber said:

could you post the pics please?

thx!

Bob Williams said:

I will Look forward to them.

Thankss!

Sterling Shriber said:

Yes. But not till Monday. 

OK guys, sorry for the delay. Here are the photos of my hatch project: These are the key elements I started with.Here is what the opening looks like when ready to remount the hatch...

Here is what mine looked like before I reinstalled. I did not go chrome route. I needed to get it done. Besides, mine hides under the factory bench seat. My back deck is pretty much always under cover. I did replace my glass with tinted plex. I had to do this since there was no glass.:)

Here is a photo of it installed. Looks pretty unremarkable, but a big improvement over the previous owners solid piece of plywood.

My one piece of advice is, use plenty of sealant. I used boatlife. I did not get quite enough around the hatch. I have a small leak and will need to redo at some point.  Good luck guys.

Sterling:

You are a gentleman and a scholar sir!

Thanks for taking the time to take the pictures in the first place, and secondly to send them along.

My lower ring is covered and blended in with some kind of filler material and I thought that the flange went waaay down tall the way to the head liner.

VERY nice to know how to get the whole works out.

Thanks again

Bob

Great thread, great pics, and great info!  Thanks Sterling!  It's a project that is still on my list, so the info will certainly help!

Chris
1967 42 Commander
"What If..."

Thanks Chris. Bob. I am really serious about the sealant. I thought I was using way too much. Still not enough. I think the mold was not perfect and the metal hatch ring is very flat. That leaves gaps. Use alot. Let it dry and trim. 

Sterling:

Item last (per Hill St. Blues)

Semicircular drain reliefs (2) in bottom of your grate ring (my chrome ring).

Fore and aft...side to side or some magic combo?

Mine were all spooged in with silicone seal!

Hatch apart and on the bench in the basement....THANKS again.

Bob

Ok Scott ......when are you going to start the windshield project???????

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2018 Photo Contest Winner

The 4th Annual Chris-Craft Commander Club Photo Contest had more than 50 entries and selecting the winners was not an easy task. 

First place: submitted by Pat Chaps

Second place: submitted by Martin Krall;

Third place: submitted by Jeff Pacy.

To view all entries to this year's contest,         Click Here

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service