It appears that both of my shaft logs have succumbed to old age, salt water and clamp pressure. Recently I made an attempt to repair one, but it failed as the old fiberglass broke under the new and then the other gave way with the end disintegrating. So here is the issue.  Rebuild using new shaft log material, fiber-glassing in place or replace with bronze shaft log recovered from another larger Chris Craft. I am in need of counsel on this!  Both are major repairs, the bronze solution sound stronger than the fiber, but I am concerned with causing other issues making a modification of hardware. I don't understand why bronze was not used originally on this model as I the other models seem to utilize the bronze shaft. I would like to hear from the talent pool on this. My boat is on the hard, and I have to issue some instructions to the repair folks very soon. Thanks in advance.!

Views: 214

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would rebuild using fiberglass. The originals lasted decades. What models use bronze shaft log on fiberglass boat? I've never seen that.

Mike, thanks. I was under the impression that the larger Chris Craft used bronze shafts? I could be mistaken. Any experience getting a replacement fiberglass shaft? Size? length? etc?.

Mike H said:

I would rebuild using fiberglass. The originals lasted decades. What models use bronze shaft log on fiberglass boat? I've never seen that.
I've not done shaft logs, but if I had to I would have no hesitation. Fiberglass is pretty easy to do as long as you don't have to make it look pretty. Someone posted on here somewhat recently about replacing their shaft logs. I seem to remember them saying to use 1/4 inch tube instead of 1/8th.

That sounds like a big job to me.

I would call Lee at Glassic boats and hire him as a consultant to the job as he has actual experience in the combined glass and mechanically work. We as boats know what a misalignment can do to a boat.

John, I did exactly that.

Lee was gracious enough to respond immediately with sound logic and advise. I would not own this boat if it were not great support from this community.  

Thanks.

John Heenan said:

That sounds like a big job to me.

I would call Lee at Glassic boats and hire him as a consultant to the job as he has actual experience in the combined glass and mechanically work. We as boats know what a misalignment can do to a boat.

Philip,

I too thought about using bronze shaft log assemblies but gave up on that idea. I was not sure that I could find the proper angle for the shaft and log assembly. If the angle is not the same, some type of shim was needed and did not want to go down that rabbit hole (shims, building up hull to fit, trying to re engineer something that already has a tried/true method)

This is one case where they don't build them like anymore and for good reason. The original shaft log was only 1/8" thick (lasted 50 years) but today's standard seem to be 1/4" thickness which prevent the issues we have of cracking shaft logs.

I went with fiber glassing in new 1/4" shaft logs and if wanted will send more pix of the process I used.

What ever method you decide on, please updates us and send many pix's.

Good Luck

Timmy

FXA 31 0031

Timmy B, thank you so much. Photo's would be wonderful help! I just came from the repair shop and they want photo's to look at of a previous install. I am in the middle of this today so appreciate you sending. My email address is  philipjmcb@gmail.com.

again, thank you.

Timmy B said:

Philip,

I too thought about using bronze shaft log assemblies but gave up on that idea. I was not sure that I could find the proper angle for the shaft and log assembly. If the angle is not the same, some type of shim was needed and did not want to go down that rabbit hole (shims, building up hull to fit, trying to re engineer something that already has a tried/true method)

This is one case where they don't build them like anymore and for good reason. The original shaft log was only 1/8" thick (lasted 50 years) but today's standard seem to be 1/4" thickness which prevent the issues we have of cracking shaft logs.

I went with fiber glassing in new 1/4" shaft logs and if wanted will send more pix of the process I used.

What ever method you decide on, please updates us and send many pix's.

Good Luck

Timmy

FXA 31 0031

Philip,

Will send a link to a web hosting site via ur email. About 70 pix of various states of destruction, cutting, sanding, fiber glassing. Unsure of hot link policy of this web site so I wont send it via forum.

Timmy

Philip,

I used fiber glass tubes purchased for McMasters supply (?). I used a tube that was structurally rated. There are other companies that sell fiber glass tubes but after purchasing them, I found their tubes to have voids and cracks. Even sent them back but the replacements also voids and cracks. The structurally rated tubes did NOT have cracks or voids.

That being said, I have a left over piece of structural tubing, if you pay for shipping I will send your way

5' long, 2" in diameter, 1/4" wall thickness. If you use this tubing you cannot use your existing stuffing boxes and will need to get new ones. The 2" diameter worked perfectly with new stuffing boxes designed for 1 and 1/4" shafts.

Timmy

Thank you so much. Your help has been wonderful and helped me step through this process.

Hang on to that material, just to day I ordered 3' of 2" made by Centex from Fishermans Supply. If I find that this order is not suitable I will get back to you on your offer.

Your photo's have been instrumental in conversing with the fiberglass tech doing the repairs.

Will keep you posted.

Phil

Timmy B said:

Philip,

I used fiber glass tubes purchased for McMasters supply (?). I used a tube that was structurally rated. There are other companies that sell fiber glass tubes but after purchasing them, I found their tubes to have voids and cracks. Even sent them back but the replacements also voids and cracks. The structurally rated tubes did NOT have cracks or voids.

That being said, I have a left over piece of structural tubing, if you pay for shipping I will send your way

5' long, 2" in diameter, 1/4" wall thickness. If you use this tubing you cannot use your existing stuffing boxes and will need to get new ones. The 2" diameter worked perfectly with new stuffing boxes designed for 1 and 1/4" shafts.

Timmy

I am indebted to those that have given me great insight to help determine my next move. The photo's I received from Timmy B from his experience, the phone call from Dick  and text from Lee just confirm the quality of members and willingness to "jump in" and help.

Monday, the process starts in the yard. I am expecting delivery of 3' of 2" log shaft produced by Centex. I have their mufflers in the boat and like there products. The boat is on the rail, shafts loosened ready to renew the old.

I have to give credit to the yard for bringing up the bronze upgrade, as they called it. They even located some salvaged ones reasonably priced. As boat owners, if you deal with someone you respect, it is always wise to hear a option presented knowing they have your interest in mind.

In this case, with the help of members the decision was made to repair with Fiberglass. My yard has jumped in and accepted my decision, ready to do a good job. I saw a wall with Timmy's photo's pasted on, reassuring me they listened to this groups opinion and experience as well.

Stay tuned, will post photo's etc as they are available.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Great Aerial Video of a  45 Commander

© 2017   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service