Had anyone had their CCC 35' in rough water, either offshore or Great lakes?

Interested in how it handled it. Upwind, downwind, beam, and quartering waves. 

Thanks

Views: 150

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Robin - not sure how similar our hulls are, but I think the key is in experimentation to figure what works. For reference, we boat on the Chesapeake which can get pretty squirrelly.

At the right speed, mine does pretty well into the wind, but she’s most stable hitting the waves/wake right at about 45 degrees. I aim for the porthole.

A following sea takes some adjustment of throttle and trim tabs, but she will stabilize. On the quarter, she’ll do well, but the angle has to be just right.

I recommend avoiding taking it on the beam at all costs. She rolls like nobodies business.

As I understand it the 35' sport/cruiser (my boat) is the same hull as the other 35's

Thanks

Oh, and I wholly agree on your comment about the Chesapeake can get pretty squirrlley. We were there last summer(2017)in our 30' sailboat. We experienced some pretty big waves.

I have the same boat as Robin and I 100% agree with Matt. I bought my boat in July and I underestimated the seat time required to operate this vessel. I have never had a bridge boat, but have been told what Matt described is fairly common with bridge boats. The rolling on the bridge can be a little unnerving..  

Matt Cowles said:

Robin - not sure how similar our hulls are, but I think the key is in experimentation to figure what works. For reference, we boat on the Chesapeake which can get pretty squirrelly.

At the right speed, mine does pretty well into the wind, but she’s most stable hitting the waves/wake right at about 45 degrees. I aim for the porthole.

A following sea takes some adjustment of throttle and trim tabs, but she will stabilize. On the quarter, she’ll do well, but the angle has to be just right.

I recommend avoiding taking it on the beam at all costs. She rolls like nobodies business.

Last year I bought "The Original Six" from Mike Watson. It's a 35 sport and I drove it around the mitten from Lake Michigan (5-6' following seas) to Lake Huron (4-5' Head on) and it handled awesome 20mph all the way...we could have take on a couple of more feet before I would have the slightest bit nervous... Built like a tank...

I've done beam on a very tender small sailboat, it takes a bit of faith until you get used to rising with the wave,  ( The waves were never taller than the quarter level of the sail) I don't have that much faith to do it with any power boat.  Head seas, it is great until it gets scary but I don't have a bridge, less frightening.  Following seas are a challenge for any vessel especially if in a channel.  Good news is this is a well tested and safe vessel.  The sharper aft of the 38 and 42 is probably a little more forgiving in following seas.

I think Greg Gajcak traversed Lake MIchigan in 9+ footers and posted the experience on this forum

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Styled In Fiberglass

For your reading pleasure, the latest issue of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, along with past issues, can you accessed through the link below.

Styled In Fiberglass Issues

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service