Upon start up, my starboard 327Q discharges rusty water for about 30 seconds. I notice this because I always look over the transom on start up to be sure that it's making water. This started about a month ago. I thought perhaps it was due to the boat sitting for a week at a time but when I was on a rendezvous last weekend, I shut it down on Thursday evening and Sunday morning it did the same.

There is no water in the bilge to suggest that something is leaking and the water in the block is bleeding down, not sure if this is a real problem but it's new so I'm a bit confused. 

Impellers are new, circulating pump is fine and it is discharging normally except for the rusty color.

The port engine is clear.

Any thoughts?

Views: 128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have begun having this, it is the cast iron mufflers showing age I believe.

Captain   Tom  ......... Your  rusty water issue is very likely the cast iron 90 degree elbow behind the  Y pipe & in front  of the mufflers  .  The exhaust water sits in the low area at the elbow when engine is not running & will rot over time & leak exhaust fumes  when running  !!!!.   Consider  replacing  with a fiberglass exhaust  elbow .

Tim

----------

I always would get a bit of rusty water on my close cooled 307Qs. Most of my exhaust was fiberglass except a few beefy elbows. But I discovered is was just water sitting in the risers.

Interesting. Thanks, I'll check out the system from the risers back. No exhaust fumes at this time but I have seen, on this forum, that some of the system has a tendency to rot out. Engines were out and re built 2 & 3 years ago. Inspected everything at that time and all was good.

Just found it funny that it's only on one side, maybe the other side is forth coming. The boat sits perfectly level in the water so it's not a matter of listing.

Captain  Tom ........  The  90 degree exhaust elbow on that model engine  as installed has a low spot that holds discharge water when engine is off .  You can use a mirror & flashlight to look up at the underside of the elbow area & also look for rust stains on the bilge floor below the elbow area .  Replacing with fiberglass elbows  will save weight  , reduce back pressure at the 90 degree radius & will sound a bit  quieter at the transom exhaust  outlet  . 

Think exhaust fumes when engines are running  !!!  

Tim

------------

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Styled In Fiberglass

For your reading pleasure, the latest issue of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, along with past issues, can you accessed through the link below.

Styled In Fiberglass Issues

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service