My boat desperately needs paint from top to bottom. Today I wet sanded a test spot on my hard top, which I believe had been painted previouslyin another decade. The top coat was essentially chalk.

If you sand too much the black gel coat starts to come through, as it's doing on my decks. My question is, how much and how far down do I stand?

The first pictures are before sanding, the second photos are after sanding.

Views: 747

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes rolled and tipped. Key was thinning out to get it flow well. First rollers used were Redtree yellow sponge roller that west marine sell. Well 10 minutes into job the rollers fell apart. I called Redtree and they sent me out a box of red mohair rollers that held up. Also need to rap painters tape with sticky side up around your hand to clean roller prior to use. I did not paint window frames.
Looks great Jim! Hope I can get the same results when I try.

Jim Clynes said:
Yes rolled and tipped. Key was thinning out to get it flow well. First rollers used were Redtree yellow sponge roller that west marine sell. Well 10 minutes into job the rollers fell apart. I called Redtree and they sent me out a box of red mohair rollers that held up. Also need to rap painters tape with sticky side up around your hand to clean roller prior to use. I did not paint window frames.

If anyone can recommend a good durable non skid that comes the closest to matching the factory gelcoat I would appreciate it. Looking to paint my deck area and I have a lot of it! Really don't want to have to do it multiple times.

What is a realistic lifespan for these deck paints?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Great Aerial Video of a  45 Commander

© 2017   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service