In the latest issue of BoatUS magazine the article on winterizing seacocks states that "the small screw on the base of the seacock should be removed at winter layup (with boat out of water) will ensure no trapped water will freeze and split the housing.

Surely the author did not mean that this is only done with the boat out of water?  

Views: 99

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just leave mine open out of water

I don't think I'd want to open the drain screw when the boat's in the water. Depending on which side of the valve the drain screw is in, and whether the valve is open or closed.

To me the small screw at the base of the seacock would mean the screw that holds the base to the mounting, a distinctly weird thought.  I'm sure the reference was for the plug in the side of the barrel.  I find that it does not drain all that well, do the surface tension of water so I insert a pipe cleaner to wick water from the barrel.  I am in water year around.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Photo Contest Winners

This year's CCCC Photo Contest saw a record number of participating photos. The winners of the of the top three positions are:

1. James Frens with the photo of his 27 Commander, displayed to the left.
  2. Kevin R Mueller with a photo of his 42 Commander
  3. Greg Kay with a photo of his  42 Tournament fisherman.

Here is a slideshow featuring the top 10 photos.

New Issue Available

The Fall 2017 issue of the Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, is now available for download.  

Click here to download your copy.

© 2017   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service