has anyone installed a garmin shoot crew haul transducer in a chris craft commander in the bilge area this is a glue in type and did it work well threw the thick haul of the boat???? and thanks for all the input on the draft of my 47 commander

Views: 644

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeap my 47 is a 1968 and is right at 2 inches thick so I am afraid a shoot threw transducer won't work?

Tim, can you tell us how you know the hull is that thick?  I would not expect the 47 to have that much greater thickness than my 35, strength will come from the stringers fore to aft so the hull only would need to support the intermediate space.  The thickness at the keel will be much greater and may well approach 2".

Do you not have an existing transducer?  If so you can get a pin-out diagram for the newer unit, an adapter and make the connection, been there done that.  I assume you are boating on the Ohio River and if so it might be well to consider a more robust unit with fwd and side scan which would benefit from a new location of the proper transducer. 

The unit you are looking at probably comes with the puck as std refer to my previous post.  Another option would be to do nothing and stay in the channel, always a good option with or without a functioning sounder.

I put 2 new transducers in my 27 a couple years ago, the bottom about a foot out from the keel was 5/8 or 3/4 thick. I imagine that a 47 would have a thicker bottom to support that length. 

Bottom line, install the 'shoot thru the hull' transducer and see if it works. If it doesn't, then plan B would be a hole-in-the-hull transducer. Or worst case, hang one off the transom. But to go without a depth sounder is not wise.

My 31 is not nearly as thick as people often claim they are. I had the drain plug out of the keel a couple years ago, I’d be surprised if it was 3/8th inch there. Same with out near the chine where my transducer is. The hull on my Catalina 280 was actually thicker, it was at least half an inch where I mounted the transducer.

Gentlemen thanks for all the input helps me a lot well going to by a shoot threw and try it . If no go I will but a thru haul in a the hole will tell the tail thanks again and have a safe and fun boating year Tim and cary

tim, just one more data point - my hole-in-the-hull transducer for the humminbird fish finder also gives me water temperature. So I know if the water's warm enough to jump in (we see close to 80 degrees in the river and as low as 60 in the ocean, on the same day). I don't know if a shoot-thru-the-hull can do that.

I'd like to put one as far aft as possible to use when we stern in to shore. The current through hull is in the kitchen, which is 30' or so from the props. That's fine for normal running, but when backing toward shore, I can show 15' on that sounder and have 5' under the props. My hope was to not cut another hole in the boat if it's not needed. I already have 3 other through hulls that are not in use - I might remove them and patch those holes if I have time this spring before launch.

Just beware, Steve...going aft of the props will cause problems with accuracy due to the cavitation.

Matt - My plan is only to use it at dead slow speeds and in reverse. I'm hoping that in those conditions it would be okay. I'll maintain my normal through hull for normal running and water temp. That's another reason I'd like to use the P79 - if it doesn't work, I don't have another hole in the hull :-).

When I went to the puck I patched the hole and was happy to have one less, actually two less.  Originally there was a propeller type speed indicator fwd of the stbd engine.   I moved the genny water pickup to that location and filled the original hole under the salon couch.

A puck will only give you depth, no provision for a thermocouple, but you indicate you already have one unit with temp.  If you are locating near the stern positioning may be difficult especially if you have the "Cruise Control" tabs, the placement would need to be fwd of them and that area could be thicker for several inches.  I'm not an advocate of holes but an option would be to run the cable (a transom mount with thermocouple) out the transom and mount it  near the center like a small boat and use a SS peaked water shield above the hole.

Good point on the tabs. I have fairly good access, but do suspect the hull will be thicker there. The external transom transducer was my first thought, but I'm concerned with it getting knocked off and would prefer to have everything inside the hull. A very valid option however, and maybe the one I'll take if the hull ends up being too thick.

Timothy "Tim" Miller said:

When I went to the puck I patched the hole and was happy to have one less, actually two less.  Originally there was a propeller type speed indicator fwd of the stbd engine.   I moved the genny water pickup to that location and filled the original hole under the salon couch.

A puck will only give you depth, no provision for a thermocouple, but you indicate you already have one unit with temp.  If you are locating near the stern positioning may be difficult especially if you have the "Cruise Control" tabs, the placement would need to be fwd of them and that area could be thicker for several inches.  I'm not an advocate of holes but an option would be to run the cable (a transom mount with thermocouple) out the transom and mount it  near the center like a small boat and use a SS peaked water shield above the hole.

Never glue transducer in first place it were you want it and see if it works correctly if it does then glue it in if not move until you find a lace it works keep away from the prompts and shafts keep it in calm water area under boat say midway if shaft driven

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Styled In Fiberglass

For your reading pleasure, the latest issue of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, along with past issues, can you accessed through the link below.

Styled In Fiberglass Issues

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service