Having soft fore deck repaired this winter. Because of the size and depth of the repair, considerable portions of the faux teak will be destroyed. Moisture readings traveling down the companionway as well.  Considering re surfacing with plasteak both fore deck, companion and helm area as a more permanent repair and prevention.  Has anyone attempted, seen it done, or have other suggestions before I make the commitment?  She is a 74  47 all freshwater.

Views: 615

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chris, thanks for the insight--am having it dried out this week--will then begin to see what structure issues are necessary.  

Chris Wickersham said:

The very forepeak where the capstan and samson post are has plywood backing that’s there to absorb those loads. But otherwise my boats decks are just solid glass no core of any kind. This boat has soft decks all the way back to the bench seat, without any obvious indication of why. Well past the area with the bracing at the very forepeak, it’s basically the entire bow. I think the glass mat layers are separating because of not enough or improperly cured resin during layup. 

Thanks Sterling--gathering all the info I can. Looking more and more like a production issue originally.

Sterling Shriber said:

Louis, I am envious of your 47. My dream boat. Anyway, I have faced your situation or a similar one on my 35. There are several ways to go about it. I have attached a link that I use often. Anything you want to know about fiberglass repair is in there. Even if yours is not cored, the general info is good. Happy reading.

http://www.rotdoctor.com/glass/GLrotrepair.html

Dig Deep that we looked at in Chicago covered the rear deck with PlasDeck - it looked great. Here is a bad image of it where you can see a bit of the floor.

Related image

Better view (the non-magazine version, complete with scratches). Not the front deck, but give you an idea. The scratches and any stains are sanded out with 40 grit sand paper.

Isn't this soft area all above the Vee?  If so I think the way to attack this would be from the inside working upward.  There may be delamination between layers that may be repaired by several options ranging from re-bonding to re-glassing.  JMO topside down will not result in good aesthetics and may require penetration to the struts, not saving the headliner etc.  The problem is not the deck it is the substrate.

i looked at that boat as well i thought the fore deck a lessor problem then the 4000 plus engine hours on her cummins engines

Alan Waite said:

Is this the one that was on the Ohio river in the Louisville KY area? I believe it must be, Cummins power and beautiful interior? I looked at that one too and walked away because of the foredeck.

Chris Wickersham said:

Timothy, it’s the same boat. She’s popped up in discussions on the forum repeatedly over the years. I looked at a half dozen 47’s before buying mine, and none of them had a soft spot anywhere on the boat. It’s the main reason I decided to go with a CC instead of a hatteras, i was looking at those too and most of them had soft spots in the decking, especially on the flybridge.

When I looked at her it was really a challenge to walk away, she ticked all the boxes. She has the biggest engine option, the full teak interior, flybridge, factory pulpit and windlass, factory enclosure, the boat has every option you could order. The problem with her was the decks, it was a $40k issue that they weren’t willing to have a serious price discussion about. The result being it sat for 4 years until it finally sold.

She’s gorgeous other than the decks.

I thought that too, but then when I actually looked at it they didn’t smoke after warmup, or even much on startup, so my guess was somebody had rebuilt them. Shame on whoever changed the hour meters to read lower, but I was still prepared to take my chances with it if it hadn’t been for the decks. Old cummins are like old detroits, properly cared for they last indefinitely. The parts prices are something else though. That is the main reason I went with a boat with detroits, I can in frame one for $10k-12k. The cummins in Survivor of Time my mechanic told me would be closer to $50k because of the parts prices. Still, diesels aren’t some huge mystery, if they’re unhealthy they do let you know it. These seemed ok. I guess I could have been a victim of the broker showing up a half hour early to warm the engines up trick, certainly wouldn’t have been the first time that’s happened. If I had gone much further I would have gotten somebody to come check them out first, and a proper sea trial.

Hi,Lou

I am working with Michigan Fiberglass in St Clair Shores Mi on repair of laserette hatch on my 38 exp.

website-michiganfiberglass.com. 586-777-2032.Hope this may be helpful.Would love to  see your new vessel.

"welcome to Port Sanilac,Captain"! Lets have a perfect manhattan for Mark!

Merry Christmas

Jim Hering

the broker told me me that they only had 1700 hrs but he did not know were the hour meters were located when i drove there from michigan were that boat was from i showed him the hour meters and that had just over 4000.hours

Chris Wickersham said:

I thought that too, but then when I actually looked at it they didn’t smoke after warmup, or even much on startup, so my guess was somebody had rebuilt them. Shame on whoever changed the hour meters to read lower, but I was still prepared to take my chances with it if it hadn’t been for the decks. Old cummins are like old detroits, properly cared for they last indefinitely. The parts prices are something else though. That is the main reason I went with a boat with detroits, I can in frame one for $10k-12k. The cummins in Survivor of Time my mechanic told me would be closer to $50k because of the parts prices. Still, diesels aren’t some huge mystery, if they’re unhealthy they do let you know it. These seemed ok. I guess I could have been a victim of the broker showing up a half hour early to warm the engines up trick, certainly wouldn’t have been the first time that’s happened. If I had gone much further I would have gotten somebody to come check them out first, and a proper sea trial.

chris how many rpm's have you run the engines up to chris

chris morisette said:

the broker told me me that they only had 1700 hrs but he did not know were the hour meters were located when i drove there from michigan were that boat was from i showed him the hour meters and that had just over 4000.hours

Chris Wickersham said:

I didn't other than in the slip, we never left the dock. Didn't get as far as a sea trial, I was told don't bother with an offer under $65k (this was 2-3 years ago) and I couldn't make the math work with the $30k cost of fixing the deck. It was obvious I was going to end up with $100k in a $70k boat right off the bat, may as well just throw money in the fireplace, so I went and bought a different 47 that didn't have the deck issues. I otherwise really liked the boat though.

chris morisette said:

chris how many rpm's have you run the engines up to chris

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Registration Is ClosedCity of Mentor, Ohio

What: 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous

When: July 27 - 29, 2018

Learn everything you need to know about the 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous by clicking the link below :

2018 Rendezvous Site

Chris-Craft Commander Club YouTube Channel

In an effort to expand the video sharing for the club, we have built a YouTube Channel. We hope you enjoy watching the wonderful videos our members have chosen to share.    

Click Here To Learn More

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service