Has anyone personally or know of anyone that has retro-fitted a Commander with either passive or an active stabilizer system, or the gyro-type system?

I have a 1974 410 Commander and we spend a lot of time on Lake Huron, and my family doesn't seem to liek the big waves that come a few seconds apart some days. Not sure what the issue is there :)

Thanks and hoping for a fast melt for all of us northern club members!

Mike Benore

Views: 682

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

test day conditions 

sea conditions on test

Attachments:

sea conditions on bridge

Attachments:

HI Gregory -  the link does not work

Gregory Kay said:

how can you link a google photo 

That install is so cool. If I ever win the lotto I know what I’m doing! 

Thanks for sharing! Has it performed to your expectations?

I think the price has come down some, but this looks very expensive. Did this come in somewhere between north of $50K and south of $70K? 

Has anyone else looked at other technologies that may not be as awesome as the Seakeeper but still effective for pleasure boating in 3-5 foot seas?

I purchased the seakeeper 5 which has currently been discontinued from the product line and replaced with a seakeeper 6.  The 6 gives another 1000nms of angular momentum.  The 5 was 5000nms. So as for cost the price has gone up for boats in the 40' range. 5 unit was 32K plus installation which I was able to do myself and I still spent 12k to install.  including all pumps , moving and replacing water tanks, mount, and misc. supplies. And a lot of time. 

According to the app they give you I have an 80% reduction in roll.  I believe that.  Simply amazing product. I am trying to get a friend in rough seas get a pic of the boat from another boat.  I think that would be the best way to show the performance. I am very happy with what it does.  I do not even know its there.  It just does its thing.  Runs whenever we are away for the dock.  That should be a 1000 hours a year.   The only draw back I have found is Me.  Believe it or not you have to get used to it.  I am a lifetime boater and so well conditioned to the roll and pitching of the boat,  so much so, that when the waves are coming I lean into the coming seas with out even thinking about it. I shift my weight to compensate for the roll of the boat that never comes.  So I stumble anyway! lol That was totally unexpected.  Its easy to get used to but first couple trips you would have thought I was a boating newbie. 

As far as technologies:

Hanging items, such as rocker stoppers and birds (large weights that hang off poles you see on trawling fishing boats. )   Both do work but rocker stoppers are a pain and only for use when sitting still. Birds are for slow trawling boats. and you need a super structure to support them. 

Fins. A friend has them but only for Trawling boat speeds.  hang out the side and can collect debris and are susceptible to impact damage. Not a choice for high speed boats ( over hull speed) The installation is much more complex also .   The 0 speed stabilization is not great either the water needs to be moving over the fins to work. They have some swimming systems that help with this.  They give a better stabilization when moving than the seakeeper. 

Gyro:

There are a couple of systems out there.  The only company making a gyro for under a 100' boat is seakeeper.  They are the only company that has been able to miniaturize the system in physical size, weight, and in electrical power.

Conclusion :

For a high speed boat, no extra drag,  no hanging items to retrieve, no hanging for impact damage, the simplest installation ,working in all sea conditions moving and standing still  is a Gyro.   For smaller boats under 100' only choice is Seakeeper.

The seakeeper takes a beautiful conditioned day and makes it flat calm .  When is the ocean ever flat.  almost never, passing wakes , and even a 1' chop can make a boat roll.  All gone like being at the dock. Now take a real day in the ocean 3-5' seas and it makes it what seems to be a beautiful day .  you Beer wont even spill on the corner of the boat.  For me this thing was worth the money.  It gives me what I want.  Simply , More usable time on the water! 

True story.  The wife and I am out fishing for flounder 3 miles off the beach at the local reef. You know I am fishing and she is watching tv inside in the ac.  3-4' seas white capping conditions.  She looks outside the windows and comes out on the back deck.  She says, Getting rough hun, time to go in.  She looks at my face , looks at the water ,  kind of puts her hands out to Brace herself in the rough seas, Looks at me again and smiles and says disgustedly  NEVERMIND, and goes back inside.   Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2018 Photo Contest Winner

The 4th Annual Chris-Craft Commander Club Photo Contest had more than 50 entries and selecting the winners was not an easy task. 

First place: submitted by Pat Chaps

Second place: submitted by Martin Krall;

Third place: submitted by Jeff Pacy.

To view all entries to this year's contest,         Click Here

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service