I tried to search already and found some info on the reverse gear slipping but the issue I have is they paragon P32 slips out of gear in low RPM and not in high RPM above 2500rpm. This makes it impossible to park as I have to gun it just to stay in gear and working near other boat and slips thats not ok. I put it back in neutral, gun it and it will stay in gear. Drop the throttle and then it slips out. 

Is there an adjustment I can make or does this require an actual mechanic? I really enjoy doing this stuff myself if possible. 

Again, my apologies if this topic has been covered!

Views: 157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll let someone else chime in on the details, but 2500 rpm in reverse? Yikes. That's awful hard on...a lot of things. Just my $.02, but I'd never exceed 1000-1500 max. The latter only being when I'm in a really tight spot and am fighting wind, current, or another challenge and need her to cooperate a little more.
Not sure he meant in reverse?

Could it be another problem like one I sometimes have? At lower rpm 1250 sometimes my enginge rpms bounce up and down and looks like a transmission slipping. Mine is just an ignition/carb issue.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but assuming the fluid level is nice & pink & full, this sounds like the transmission oil pump failing. At low rpm it can't generate enough pressure to keep the clutch discs solidly clamped together. This is not an adjustment, and yes, it is going to require a good marine mechanic to remove the transmission. I hope some other member can recommend a good rebuilder in your area, Fort Worth, TX.

So back story.... Had a mechanic make an adjustment but he is no longer in the area and moved to Florida for the winter. Originally, it would slip out of gear above 2500 RPM, I would simply lower the throttle, and it would slip right back into gear. 

After the adjustment, it now slips out of gear in low RPMs. My mechanic will be back in a week for a few days and will re adjust. 

As dick mentioned above, I do fear it requires a rebuild and dont mind doing it.... I just am having a hard time finding someone who will rebuild it in Fort Worth Texas!

To clear things up... no I do not use reverse at 2500rpm haha I barely use the throttle when I am in reverse. 

Hi Matt! I should have been more detailed! This is in forward and not reverse. I barely/rarely even use throttle in reverse. 
Matt Cowles said:

I'll let someone else chime in on the details, but 2500 rpm in reverse? Yikes. That's awful hard on...a lot of things. Just my $.02, but I'd never exceed 1000-1500 max. The latter only being when I'm in a really tight spot and am fighting wind, current, or another challenge and need her to cooperate a little more.

Like Dick said if the fluid is at the proper level you have internal problems. There is no adjustment for forward gear. If the pump is failing that will be very expensive, if you can find a pump. First make sure the fluid is filled properly.

I wouldn't say removing the trans will require a mechanic, depending on your mechanical aptitude. I just pulled mine, it was very strait forward, hardest part is physically lifting it out of the boat as it's over 150lbs. The rebuild on the other hand would be best done by a professional.

I know it’s been awhile since this post aired Corey and I hope it got resolved. I know that boat of yours very well and the history of it. Looks by the pictures that it’s still at West Bay Marina. I’m on the lake with you with a Chris Craft Commander. Give me a shout. Everyone knows me around the lake. Website: https://sites.google.com/site/treybullemlnewsletter/home 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Photo Contest Winners

This year's CCCC Photo Contest saw a record number of participating photos. The winners of the of the top three positions are:

1. James Frens with the photo of his 27 Commander, displayed to the left.
  2. Kevin R Mueller with a photo of his 42 Commander
  3. Greg Kay with a photo of his  42 Tournament fisherman.

Here is a slideshow featuring the top 10 photos.

New Issue Available

The Fall 2017 issue of the Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, is now available for download.  

Click here to download your copy.

© 2017   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service