Gentlemen, can anyone tell me what causes this and what to do about it. This is my swim platform. I cleaned it with oxygen bleach and applied straight Helmsman Teak Oil. It wrinkled. I sanded and washed again, same outcome. Any help will be appreciated as my next step is to light the fire!!

Views: 219

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are you sure that is oil ???  It looks like varnish that is applied way to thick

Whatever it is I would throw it away and start from scratch. Teak oil should not harden and wrinkle like that. How was this applied? Teak oil is usually applied liberally with a clean rag. 

It is oil, that was three coats. And it was applied with a brush the first time. A sponge brush the second time. I understood it needed to be several coats though?

Oil doesn’t harden. I’ve always known helmsman to be varnishes. 

When I was doing teak oil I would put a coat on, let it sit for abit to soak in, then wipe the excess off. First time of the year might get 2-3 coats, then a coat every couple weeks. 

Hello Mark,

Please share a picture of the product container/ label.

Call Helmsman ?

I'm with others here... I've used oil for my 35's swim platform in the past... one coat, applied with a rag to a freshly sanded surface.  I've never seen anything like that... but I'd agree with Chris above... looks more like varnish... oil shouldn't harden, just be absorbed into the wood. 

If you're looking for a finish like that, then I'd do varnish, but on a swim platform... not all that practical.  Just my opinion though. 

Are you sure its not a tung  oil   based varnish?

Ive never seen teak oil do that . 

However varnish will wrinkle if applied too thick or more commonly when it has been aplied in conditions with too much humidity 

I may have a solution though. The above picture is after I scraped off the wet layer off oil, cleaning and drying it. I then put on a thin layer of Captain's Varnish. I want a glossy look to match my toe rails. I want to thank all of you for the input!! I will let ya know how it goes.

Oil will never give a glossy finish. It is just meant to be wiped on. Soaked in and buffed off with a rag. I am not sure how the varnish will stick to the oiled wood. If you are going to do varnish. You have to do it all. If not moisture will soak from the unvarnished side and pop the varnish.

Problem solved! The ol Captain's Varnish did the trick. Thank you all very much for the help.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Styled In Fiberglass

For your reading pleasure, the latest issue of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, along with past issues, can you accessed through the link below.

Styled In Fiberglass Issues

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service