Wanted to get some feedback from other Commander owners if they use a Carburetor Wedge on their gas engines. I will be pulling the Carbs this week to be rebuilt as I'm having a float issue on one and a choke issue on the other... So I'm considering adding a Wedge to level them.

I am running 2 new (in 2014) GM 350 counter rotating 260hp with the standard P33 Paragon Drives.  My Carbs are Rochester older... possibly original Quadrajet 750CFM.  They do not have Wedges now.  I do have the divorce style choke thermostats and believe that would be the only part that needs to be modified in order to do the install.

Views: 210

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Funny you should bring this up. My tech just told me last Friday that one of my 327F's has a wedge to level the carb. and the other one does not. The boat's a 31' Commander. I assumed it'd be a good idea to have them both level, so I asked him to take care of it. 

Any reason NOT to? I'd be very interested in the group's thoughts as well. Thanks!

Here are the two carbs. If it's a good idea for them both to be "wedged", anyone have a source for them?

Greg do you have any noticeable difference in your consumption, I've read your engines can run rich without the wedge depending on your carbs.  What carbs are yours?

Boy, I don't know about the fuel consumption. The boat's new-to-me last July. For that matter, I don't even know what kind of carbs they are. I was hoping someone here could help identify them, as well as expand on the wedge issue.

Looks to me like they both have wedges, the one has a black wedge, the other has a blue wedge. Might just be a spacer though hard to tell from that angle. Those are Edelbrock carbs, very similar to the Carters that came with the boat, i put them on my 327's a couple seasons ago. I see no reason not to run wedges, I put them on when I did mine. They are readily available as it's a standard Holly/Carter mounting.

http://commanderclub.com/forum/topics/carbs-new-vs-rebuilt

Greg Beardmore said:

Boy, I don't know about the fuel consumption. The boat's new-to-me last July. For that matter, I don't even know what kind of carbs they are. I was hoping someone here could help identify them, as well as expand on the wedge issue.

Am I missing something? They both already looked wedged? 

On a side note. Using a non metallic wedge/spacer is a good idea because it keep the fuel in the carbs cool from the hot intake manifold,

Greg Beardmore said:

Here are the two carbs. If it's a good idea for them both to be "wedged", anyone have a source for them?

Steve and Mike... you're absolutely right. Looking closer at the pics, they ARE both wedged. I hadn't looked at them in person myself, I just was going off what my tech said. He musta been fooled by the blue paint on the one. Then I dug up these pics from the day I bought the boat...

Thanks to your better trained eyes, you just saved me a bunch of dough! Thanks guys!!

So.... the question remains are their a benefits to the wedge for certain carburetors?  Does anyone know?  I didnt install these engines, the PO did.

The benifits are that the floats will sit closer to where they were designed to since all the carbs we use are an automotive design they are meant to run level. The bowls will hold more fuel. Are they required? No, my boat ran for 5 decades without them. The main reason I put them on was to have a place to tap for the PCV. I didn't want to mess with adjusting the floats either.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Styled In Fiberglass

For your reading pleasure, the latest issue of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, along with past issues, can you accessed through the link below.

Styled In Fiberglass Issues

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service