topic requests -my projects on a 42 Tournament Fisherman 1978

Hi all.  I am new to the site but not new to Chris Crafts.   Current boat and will be for the foreseeable future, A 42 Tournament Fisherman 1978. I have done a lot of work to her.  Maybe my hands on can help someone out there keep these old girls running.  I love boats. I bring 30 years of carpentry experience to boating.  I have owned boats since 14 years old .  You tend to learn a lot in 35 years of practical experience. I have completed the following ( mostly) on this boat.

Helm re design and modernization,

new electronics, bilge cameras, satellite  tv,

new fuel tanks,

new engines (mains)

Re wiring and panel boxes ( not for the faint of heart)

bow pulpit

swim platform

Painting,

non skid

head liner ( not what you think)

Galley re design and built in cabinetry.

custom booth

blister job

patching holes in hulls ( from old through hulls)

fix soft spots in balsa core decks.

Views: 126

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Think about moving to the mid-west?  Could use your help and know others that would be excited.

Help me with head liner, (not what you think) just gave up on too close to perfect to work.

Tim

Tim.

The one question I don't have a photo for yet ! 

I have had the same problem everyone else has with headliners, its impossible. I can do a lot of stuff but really that stuff is impossible.  So I went out on a limb here.  I discussed it with many people and everyone said no. Remember I am a carpenter, so keep in in what I know.   I tore it all out. insulated the ceiling, re wired for 12volt led lighting, some additional ribbing , and installed A plank ceiling.   Not any plank ceiling a product called Azek.  A white pvc exterior product.  It comes in a bead board style.  Tung and groove  .  That's not all it was too busy for me so I installed it upside down,  leaving a 6" v groove ceiling.  It comes in 18' lengths so I have a seamless ceiling.  And to my pleasant surprise it came out awesome. This was this springs project and I still need some edge molding work done.  But wow it works. Pre finished, never chip or rot. Glued and screwed in place and glued together.

In the end the product is more $ than the headliner.  But I did not have to hire anyone ,  done in 2 days, seamless, wipe-able , and the lights clip in . And I guarantee the fishing rods will not poke through!

Greg

Pictures?  I had luan cut to fit then when fit came to final position two areas were come to jesus don't fits.  The alterations were going to make serious problems and I am glad I kept the removed headliner.  I still don't have a final plan and all pieces are stored but...!  The reason for the mod was the beautiful supporting mahogany, why not show it off rather than cover it with the original headliner?  My final decision was that working in more than 3 spacial dimensions at any one time was more than my advanced age could contemplate.  Okay maybe only 3 dimensions but they kept altering as I remeasured.  Measure 5 times cut once and then try to decide if the edge moulding would fill.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2018 Photo Contest Winner

The 4th Annual Chris-Craft Commander Club Photo Contest had more than 50 entries and selecting the winners was not an easy task. 

First place: submitted by Pat Chaps

Second place: submitted by Martin Krall;

Third place: submitted by Jeff Pacy.

To view all entries to this year's contest,         Click Here

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service