Where's the best place to install a transom transducer? And where should I penetrate the stern to run cable?

Views: 338

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Btw I don't know that where mine is is an optimal location, that's where the previous owner put his transducer so I reused the hole. I've not had problems with it though.

AlG said:
No worries about the transom mount, I've learned the evil of my thoughts. Mike, I'll take a look at that today. If flat, then a single mount is all I need and I'll just pick up the one. Thanks!
So I had to go back down to the boat and see this flat space. Yes, there are two <5 degree rise flattish spaces in front of each propeller and on either side of that huge keel. It drops down about a foot lower than the mountable areas and with the transducer of choice only being 6" tall, it can't see over the keel to the other side to give a true side view so another's gonna be needed. Convenient that they come packaged that way, even includes the y and extension cables needed to run them in tandem. Bloody expensive, but her electronics are a bit dated.
Attachments:
Thanks to everyone for your advice!
Where your original transducers are should be a good spot. I didn't know you were trying to do side view. That adds another dimension, and explains why you need 2

AlG said:
So I had to go back down to the boat and see this flat space. Yes, there are two <5 degree rise flattish spaces in front of each propeller and on either side of that huge keel. It drops down about a foot lower than the mountable areas and with the transducer of choice only being 6" tall, it can't see over the keel to the other side to give a true side view so another's gonna be needed. Convenient that they come packaged that way, even includes the y and extension cables needed to run them in tandem. Bloody expensive, but her electronics are a bit dated.
That's the second shot. It's about two meters in front on the shaft and is what I now figure is about the best. One transducer on each side and will eventually be adding panoptix forwardview, but that's an issue for another day. Thanks again!
I installed a garmen through hull on my 31 commander last year and it works great. I used a Johnson angle tool to get the exact angle and then had a guy with a band saw cut the plastic mounting block at that angle. Transducer looks straight down. Mounted it just below galley area starboard side. Hope that helps. Tool is about 12 bucks
Attachments:
I won't be doing any of the work at all, I'll leave that to the pros. What kind of rig are you running and which transducer? I have a Garmin 741xs and I'm looking at either a set of 30s through a GVC10 or a set of 50s through a 25, but haven't gotten any confirmation back on if everything will work together. Most common complain I've heard was 741xs doesn't take a 12 pin, although I've found out it will understand 12 pin through both GVC10 and 25. I'll probably end up with both in the end, I'm a gear junkie and will be in many different depths and conditions. We're gonna go exploring with the old girl and never know what we'll run into.
I run a 741xs, love it. I just have a basic transducer though, gives me depth and temp, that's all I'm looking for. I have been playing with it abit though learning how to read it. I think i now can tell the difference between sandy and mucky bottom.
Confirmation that the 25 will not work with the 741xs no matter what kind of bells and whistles you put on it. The gt30's do the same thing anyway, even though some range is lost.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Great Aerial Video of a  45 Commander

© 2017   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service