We've had our '67 Commander 31 for several weeks now and are really enjoying her! After a few short jaunts it's becoming apparent to me that Trim Tabs would be very useful indeed.

I've been reading all I can about them and am zeroing in on Bennetts. From what I read it seems to me that 30" x 6" would be about right (agreed?) This will probably be a winter project as I've arranged for inside heated storage.

There's one little thing that has me wondering though. Where have those of you with tabs installed mounted the switch(es)? I have a rather unusual helm configuration, see the attached pic. TrueNorth%2006.30.16%20%2824%29.jpg

I'm not sure if this is original or not, but it's what I have. Any suggestions &/or photos of the tab switch(s) location would be very useful!

Thanks! 

Greg - Green Bay

Views: 955

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well that's the other dilemma, what to make the curved shims out of and how? When I thought I was going to get this done in time before launch last spring, I made a set out of UV resistant plastic lumber. The stuff will never rot and is just as easy to work with as wood. I tried to cut them on a band saw, and they just didn't turn out very well. I'd be more than willing to listen if anyone has any ideas on how to make them! 

Here's what I've got so far...

Plastic lumber is what I was thinking of. Idk if it’s the best to use or not though. Those don’t look too bad, remember you’ll be bedding them in adhesive so they don’t have to be perfect.

To my knowledge the tabs on my '68 35 were added early in it's life.  The transom contour was filled with mahogany or teak, the through bolts are bedded into the transom slightly above the hull, my hull is flush at the transom so the bolts are probably one or two inches above the floor inside the transom. The wood is still in good, eroded, condition, I am grateful, idk if I would have the patience or talent to match the contours, maybe talent but certainly not the patience.  Plastic lumber is probably a better option but hull was built in late 1967 so the 50th year really has past and the wooden spacer is good so choose 50+ or 100 years as the choice spacer.

Mike, I hadn't considered bedding/gluing the shims to the transom's surface. I figured I'd just squirt 4200 in the holes before screwing the whole thing on the back. Now that you mention it, I suppose it IS a good idea to bed the whole shim in adhesive. I'll do that and mount them loosely so as not to force out all the 4200. Once set, it will become a big gasket and I'll finish tightening.

That makes me feel a whole lot better about the shape of the shims not being "perfect". Thanks for the tip!

Mike H said:

Plastic lumber is what I was thinking of. Idk if it’s the best to use or not though. Those don’t look too bad, remember you’ll be bedding them in adhesive so they don’t have to be perfect.

In the center roo of helm is a typical location. If your gas tanks are in front of the transom make sure you run them dry so you don’t have to mess with fuel transfer. If tanks are elsewhere it is an easy install.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Styled In Fiberglass

For your reading pleasure, the latest issue of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, along with past issues, can you accessed through the link below.

Styled In Fiberglass Issues

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service