We've had our '67 Commander 31 for several weeks now and are really enjoying her! After a few short jaunts it's becoming apparent to me that Trim Tabs would be very useful indeed.

I've been reading all I can about them and am zeroing in on Bennetts. From what I read it seems to me that 30" x 6" would be about right (agreed?) This will probably be a winter project as I've arranged for inside heated storage.

There's one little thing that has me wondering though. Where have those of you with tabs installed mounted the switch(es)? I have a rather unusual helm configuration, see the attached pic. TrueNorth%2006.30.16%20%2824%29.jpg

I'm not sure if this is original or not, but it's what I have. Any suggestions &/or photos of the tab switch(s) location would be very useful!

Thanks! 

Greg - Green Bay

Views: 976

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow Mike, 42 x 9? Do you think they're "original" to when the boat was new? They seem pretty large from what I've learned so far, which would explain your caution with them. I've been thinking along the lines of 30 x 6 (or 9). Now I'm really hoping for other measurements, as boats come out for winter lay-up.

Yep, 42X9 I measured them tonight, they are not original. I don't think trim tabs came factory in 1966. There's sort of faired tabs on the bottom of the hull that I do believe are original.

I found the photos of my 1967 trim tab install. Two messages.

John Brock

Attachments:

Here is the last photo.

The boat is a 1967 31 Commander hard top. No fly bridge. The tabs worked well.

In the first photo you can see there was a fiberglass wedge on the bottom of the boat to accommodate the hinge line on the tabs. Not sure if that was original or added.

John

Attachments:

Thank you for taking the time to find them John! They're great! The interesting thing is, mine is a '67 hard-top as well, yet I'm pretty sure my boat doesn't have the "tabs". They must have made design changes mid-year.

Yours are mounted on the bottom and not thru the transom. Do you know if they're bolted all the way thru the bottom? Or are they just screwed to the old tabs with wood screws or self-tappers or something?

Now I'm wondering if there are any advantages to a bottom mount vs. a transom mount?

Thanks again!!

The wedges on the bottom I would say are factory, those are what I was talking about that my boat has.

John Brock said:

Here is the last photo.

The boat is a 1967 31 Commander hard top. No fly bridge. The tabs worked well.

In the first photo you can see there was a fiberglass wedge on the bottom of the boat to accommodate the hinge line on the tabs. Not sure if that was original or added.

John

Mine are transom mounted. There's a wood block between the tabs and hull as the hull is curved and the tabs are not. Mine are not thru bolted.

Greg Beardmore said:

Thank you for taking the time to find them John! They're great! The interesting thing is, mine is a '67 hard-top as well, yet I'm pretty sure my boat doesn't have the "tabs". They must have made design changes mid-year.

Yours are mounted on the bottom and not thru the transom. Do you know if they're bolted all the way thru the bottom? Or are they just screwed to the old tabs with wood screws or self-tappers or something?

Now I'm wondering if there are any advantages to a bottom mount vs. a transom mount?

Thanks again!!

Greg,

I'm glad to see you bought her.  I was looking at her also.  My trim tab pad is located to the lower right under the helm.

I ran out of time to get trim tabs installed last spring and boy did I wish I had them! I'll be installing a pair soon, 36" x 9". I'm wondering a couple of things.

1. Does anyone have photos an installation on a Commander 31?

2. When drilling to install, should I expect to be able to use thru- bolts with backing plates and nuts? Or is the bottom so thick that I'm likely to have to use lag screws?  I'm guessing the holes will be about 2" above the aft trailing edge of the transom.

Thanks in advance!

What are you looking at for photo’s. I have a couple pics, but not really just the tabs. My tabs are just screwed into the transome, the screws don’t come through. I’m betting that bottom corner where the transome and bottom meet is pretty thick. If I was doing it, I would test drill a couple holes to see if through bolts could be used. My boat is right out back behind the barn, if you need pics just let me know. 

Thanks Mike, this is exactly what I was hoping to see! Yours look to be 36 - 42" wide, so that's how mine will no doubt look when they're installed. And you're right about the bottom probably being pretty thick back there. The more I think about it, I'll probably end up using rather beefy stainless screws and 3M 4200 to bed them. 

Thanks again!

Pretty sure they’re 9X44” I measured them a while back. They’re way overkill but in theory add to the planing surface of the hull. There’s a contoured wood block between the transome and tabs as the tansom is curved and the tabs are strait. I would think there’s a better material to use than wood, but that’s what I have. Had to be abit difficult to make that curve fit nicely though. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

2019 Wall Calendars Now Available!!

The Chris-Craft Commander Club 2019 Wall Calendar is now available!!.  We're having to do things a little differently this year, so for calendar details & ordering, Click Here

2018 Photo Contest Winner

The 4th Annual Chris-Craft Commander Club Photo Contest had more than 50 entries and selecting the winners was not an easy task. 

First place: submitted by Pat Chaps

Second place: submitted by Martin Krall;

Third place: submitted by Jeff Pacy.

To view all entries to this year's contest,         Click Here

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service