My commander 31 sat for years and one of the motors is stuck. Is there a way to get a wrench on it and turn the crankshaft over? Fords have a nice 15/16 bolt on the crank snout to get ahold of. This has a little 5/8 bolt you sure wouldn't wanna turn a motor over with. Also, any suggestions on the best penetrating fluid to break the rings free? 

Views: 241

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Mark, start by pulling the distributor and use a priming tool to run the oil pump to lube all bearings. A great cheap tool is an old Chevy 350 car distributor with all the teeth ground off the drive gear and the shaft cut just below the advance plate. Put he tool in where the distributor goes, and run with a cordless drill, the drill will bog down as oil pressure comes up but don't worry you can run it as long as you want, the longer the better!  Take off all the fan belts in case a driven item is stuck. Remove all the plugs, fill the cylinders with any good penetrating oil and wait a week. The safest way to get the motor to turn is to put air pressure into a cylinder. You need to loosen the valve rocker arms on the cylinder you chose to get the cylinder to hold air. I would also remove the valve covers and hose down all valve component's and inside the springs as the valves may be stuck also. You might want to just go ahead and back off all the rocker arms and see if the open valves move when you back off the adjustment. Good Luck! most stuck engines don't live long if you get them loose, following these steps will give you a fighting chance.  

I'm not so sure it's stuck. A part of me thinks someone told the previous owner that to beat him up on price. The air cleaners are bolted to the carbs and the engine covers have always been in place, with the boat itself generally shrink wrapped or covered with a tarp. It's cold here in Iowa. I'd just like to get a breaker bar on it somehow and try for myself. I'd like to wait until spring to put batteries in her, but I will if I have to.

When I bought the boat my intention was to repower with 350's. This boat is so unmolested and clean I kind of hate to replace the original motors.

how about a strap wrench on the crank pulley? with the plugs out and belts off, of course.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&...

Excellent idea!!

Or maybe this...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sme-906007

Pull the plugs spray PB Blaster in cylinders and let it sit a couple of days . If it is going to free up you should be able to turn with bolt on the crankshaft .

Check out Kroil as a penetrant. Their web site has many testimonials from people having used it in a variety of ways including stuck engines. Packaged in a bright orange spray can or in a liquid can container.

I have used it a few times and had good results. Nothing dramatic though.

Good luck.

John Brock

Thanks! 

Tony Kirkland said:

Pull the plugs spray PB Blaster in cylinders and let it sit a couple of days . If it is going to free up you should be able to turn with bolt on the crankshaft .

That stuff was awesome, I haven’t seen it in over a decade though

John Brock said:

Check out Kroil as a penetrant. Their web site has many testimonials from people having used it in a variety of ways including stuck engines. Packaged in a bright orange spray can or in a liquid can container.

I have used it a few times and had good results. Nothing dramatic though.

Good luck.

John Brock

Look on the web. They have a special for two cans from Kano Labs. Looks like a good deal.

I have bought it at local Ace Hardware. In Hudson Ohio

John

That does look like a good deal. 

RSS

Club News

Styled In Fiberglass

For your reading pleasure, the latest issue of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, along with past issues, can you accessed through the link below.

Styled In Fiberglass Issues

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service