Years ago... what year was it? I attended the very first meet in Portsmouth, VA as and enthusiastic owner of a 67 31' Commander. Circumstances now have us on Lake Keowee near Clemson, SC and I'd like to find the best 31 Commander out there. Does one exist? That said I might also consider the 31 sports fish, but it need to be restored. 

Boat needs to be redone and ready to go Would like also for it to have been fresh water, and real wood interior, not the laminate.

I have seen the perfect 28ft on Yachtworld here http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1966/Chris-Craft-Commander-Sports-E... but it's out of price range. Incredible boat. I would consider something like this but not at 100K.

Also considering a 31 Hatteras Cruiser but these are even harder to find.

Thanks!

Views: 3699

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That 31' in Marblehead looks great!  I'm surprised that it's a 1969 with mahogany interior though.  

Paul you're so right about the cost of owning.....

I saw a brand new Boston Whaler 280 Outrage this past week.  I could restore my boat a few times over for the price of that.

Paul - I just cut a check for $5,100 to replace all of my AC hoses and some other misc. work associated with the AC system to make it perfectly ship-shape.  Previous owner 10+ years ago did some work himself and used the wrong hoses and now I'm good to go with top of the line everything.  

Paul Cavenaugh said:

OK...time to chime in...  Think about this for a moment.  In the time you have invested in shopping for an increasingly scarce or no longer existent boat,  you could have found a really good 31 and an excellent boatyard that may have finished restoring it to perfection by now for about 35% of what a new 31 Commander of the same quality would cost today.  You would be amongst the coolest of the cool people on this planet earth. The cost of boating is accelerating well beyond the ability of the average family to afford anymore.  Time is not on your side here.

And it's not the cost of buying the boat.  It's the cost of OWNING it!  Want a frightening example?  5 Years ago,  I replaced the split A/C system for the forward staterooms of my 48 Ocean Motor Yacht. The repair bill at the time including both air handlers was $11,750.  Just this week on the 57 Carver I babysit, the owner needed to replace the exact same system. 24,000BTU compressor, 2 air handlers, descaling the system, new hoses etc., plus labor. (doing it right).  I almost fell over when the bill came to almost $22,000...from the SAME reputable company with the same parts!  Double!  In only 5 years!  Maybe the 38 named SUMMER SONG will be the boat you seek...for your sake.  

As for the 31 Commander just mentioned in Marblehead Ohio,  it looks very nice.  I noted a few hickeys in the pictures,  but overall she appears to be an excellent old original 31. A near perfect choice to take to the next level.  Agree the old 327s are the negative here.

Welcome to the club Jeff!  B.O.A.T.   Break Out Another Ten Thousand!

They are at least low hours. Up here it’s very common to have these old boats with original power, they last until they wear out instead of corroding away. Plus they don’t get used half the year.

Paul Cavenaugh said:

As for the 31 Commander just mentioned in Marblehead Ohio,  it looks very nice.  I noted a few hickeys in the pictures,  but overall she appears to be an excellent old original 31. A near perfect choice to take to the next level.  Agree the old 327s are the negative here.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Club News

Styled In Fiberglass

For your reading pleasure, the latest issue of the Chris-Craft Commander Club's newsletter, Styled In Fiberglass, along with past issues, can you accessed through the link below.

Styled In Fiberglass Issues

The 2018 Chris-Craft Commander Club National Rendezvous is in the books and it was a great time!!

City of Mentor, Ohio

The city of Mentor, Ohio and the Lawnfield Inn & Suites were wonderful hosts.  A special Thanks to Rob Kneen, the local member sponsor, and Char Pike for the hours of hard work put in organizing and coordinating an amazing weekend. 

The Rendezvous Photo Albums can be accessed through the links below, as well as, under Library, Photo Albums.  We will continue to add links to other albums as they become available. Also below, you will find links to a couple articles written for the local newspaper.

Photo Album 1                 Photo Album 2  

Photo Album 3

Articles:

Chris-Craft Commander Club Celebrates Anniversary in Mentor

Chris-Craft Commander connoisseurs congregate at Mentor Lagoons Marina

© 2018   Created by CCCC Webmaster.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service